It's May FFS!

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
7am, I've got the lights on in the house, it's raining and 3.7C (and dropping!) outside - have I woken up in March?! What do I wear? It's the worse combination of weather because it'll probably be a lot warmer & drier later.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Lovely down here in the south, gonna be another 19c day in SCR paradise.

Oh and the streets are paved with gold ;-)

Don't forget your waterproofs now will you ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Forecast for snow north of Fort William today :shock:

Cue the headlines of hillwalkers from dahn sath caught out in shorts and t-shirts cos it's summer innit.

Oh, and I am heading over there next week so don't expect things to improve :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    first day this week when the weather is looking pretty good, weekend is suppose to be hot hot hot here :)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Lovely warm & sunny down here too. you've got an independent weather system up there, you just need to go the whole hog and cut yourselves adrift now. :wink:
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    Its ridiculous outside London too .....

Its hot so I'm sweating loads and the dust from the trails is sticking to my eyes and irritating them.

What should I wear ... ?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    pastasauce wrote:

Its hot so I'm sweating loads and the dust from the trails is sticking to my eyes and irritating them.

What should I wear ... ?

protect your eyes an look awesome with your very own Darth Vadar mask

star-wars-darth-vader-gas-mask.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    No hose pipe ban yet then dahhhn souaaaffff!!!!!

I tell you we are well hydrated, I would imagine o them southerners are taking cramp as we speak :lol::wink:
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Overcast and Cold...Oh and windy :evil: All we need now is some rain :?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • purpledobra
    purpledobra Posts: 16
    Sick of the wind - why no matter which direction your heading in and the direction of the wind is it always straight in your face, was treading water at one point today. And it was bloody freezing today as well in gateshead
  • Rode into a maelstrom in Musselburgh. the sky went dark, the frozen wind was keeping my speed down to a pitiful 13 mph. Then came the hailstones. Nice touch on freezing, wet legs and arms was hailstones pinging into them at a 35 mph wind.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Rode into a maelstrom in Musselburgh. the sky went dark, the frozen wind was keeping my speed down to a pitiful 13 mph. Then came the hailstones. Nice touch on freezing, wet legs and arms was hailstones pinging into them at a 35 mph wind.
    And this is why I live south of the Watford Gap. 19 degrees here in London today. Lovelly
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pastasauce wrote:

What should I wear ... ?

stormtrooper_authentic.jpg

You can keep this:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... e-muggings

and we will keep the weather :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Rode into a maelstrom in Musselburgh. the sky went dark, the frozen wind was keeping my speed down to a pitiful 13 mph. Then came the hailstones. Nice touch on freezing, wet legs and arms was hailstones pinging into them at a 35 mph wind.
    That one caught me on my way into work this morning too, mind you I was inside my car :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • meanredspider
    It wasn't so bad - just did the old MTFU trick - just disappointed to be pulling out my Assos Airjack and winter gloves again. Legs are still fizzing a bit (refused to wear anything more than shorts).

The sky is clearing now and the temperature has raced up to 5C. We'll hit the dizzy heights of 12C this afternoon.

Mind you, didn't see another bike, no PM10s to breathe in, jaunty wave from the school minibus lady was the only vehicle I passed before I reached Inverness - I wouldn't swap my commute.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • It wasn't so bad - just did the old MTFU trick - just disappointed to be pulling out my Assos Airjack and winter gloves again. Legs are still fizzing a bit (refused to wear anything more than shorts).

The sky is clearing now and the temperature has raced up to 5C. We'll hit the dizzy heights of 12C this afternoon.

Mind you, didn't see another bike, no PM10s to breathe in, jaunty wave from the school minibus lady was the only vehicle I passed before I reached Inverness - I wouldn't swap my commute.

That would have been fine for me too, except I was six miles in, wearing shorts and a SS jersey. Did have some arm-warmers in my bag which helped a bit. Arrived at work looking like corned beef.
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    daviesee wrote:
    pastasauce wrote:

What should I wear ... ?

stormtrooper_authentic.jpg

You can keep this:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... e-muggings

and we will keep the weather :wink:

Think i'll use it for the cross London commute too .....
    :lol::D
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Chuffin roastin this morning with very little wind - lovely until I took my helmet off but don't worry peeps - the racing caps are saving people from seeing the waterfall :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Bother. I was going to ask you about that.

Did you scalp any whales on the way in ?
  • meanredspider
    jejv wrote:
    Bother. I was going to ask you about that.

Did you scalp any whales on the way in ?

Nope - scalped by a red kite though. Sky clear again now - fingers crossed for the ride home
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Had to get out the singlespeed as it has small gurads and it was horizontal freezing rain in Glasgow. Llong fingered gloves, non waterproof managed to soak out enough of the cold rain to leave them numb by the time I made work..
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • itboffin
    Had to get out the singlespeed as it has small gurads and it was horizontal freezing rain in Glasgow. Llong fingered gloves, non waterproof managed to soak out enough of the cold rain to leave them numb by the time I made work..

Beautiful summery ride home along the canal.

BBQ today I think
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Lawrence_03_Pyramide.jpg
    My commute this week.
    Some of you may recognise Wandelbury and the Gog Magog hills in the background.
  • itboffin
    jejv wrote:
    Lawrence_03_Pyramide.jpg
    My commute this week.

Bloody hell I know it's been dry lately but is that what Cambridge looks like now???

:roll:
  • meanredspider
    jejv wrote:

I used to commute in from Hinton way though mostly off-road next to the railway line, under Hills road, next to Hobson's brook, Lama's Land to Silver St. We didn't ever use camels though - the hose-pipe must be in full force....