Noise from rear disc?

Dazza Doom
Dazza Doom Posts: 50
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys/Gals,
bit of advice needed if i may:

my rear disc makes a strange noise when peddling/free wheeling.
Its sort of a chime/chinking noise.
Never does it when braking, and if i press the lever slightly to take up the slack in the pads, it stops.
It doesnt do it all the time. Just comes and goes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pads/rotor catching each other.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dazza Doom
    Thanks for your quick reply..

Anything i do about it?
    Just one of those things?
  • julianhj
    julianhj Posts: 27
    I have a thread running on the general forum right now - I had a similar thing with my front brake, which after an unsuccessful trip to my LBS I identified as the caliper being misaligned with the disc. I have Formula RXs, and my solution was:

- check the wheel was correctly aligned in the dropouts and secured by the QR
    - check the disc was not bent (it wasn't), then adjust the caliper's position by
    - loosening the mounting bolts
    - spinning the wheel
    - adjusting the caliper very very fractionally so that I could hear there was no rubbing and see an equal gap either side of the disc
    - tightening the mounting bolts ensuring that the caliper stayed in exactly the right place.
  • Dazza Doom
    julianhj wrote:
    I have a thread running on the general forum right now - I had a similar thing with my front brake, which after an unsuccessful trip to my LBS I identified as the caliper being misaligned with the disc. I have Formula RXs, and my solution was:

- check the wheel was correctly aligned in the dropouts and secured by the QR
    - check the disc was not bent (it wasn't), then adjust the caliper's position by
    - loosening the mounting bolts
    - spinning the wheel
    - adjusting the caliper very very fractionally so that I could hear there was no rubbing and see an equal gap either side of the disc
    - tightening the mounting bolts ensuring that the caliper stayed in exactly the right place.

Top job, ill do that tomorrow.
    Many thanks! :)