no wonder insurance is so high! my brother just got t-boned!

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    None the less the cyclists failed to give way, unless the speed was shown to be excessive (and that doesn't mean just over the limit from current case law) it won't be a major factor in any civil claim. Sort of 2 wrongs don't make a right principle....the cyclist failed to give way, the motorist may have been speeding (bearing in mind we probably don't know exactly what he said to the Boys in Blue.....)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    None the less the cyclists failed to give way, unless the speed was shown to be excessive (and that doesn't mean just over the limit from current case law) it won't be a major factor in any civil claim. Sort of 2 wrongs don't make a right principle....the cyclist failed to give way, the motorist may have been speeding (bearing in mind we probably don't know exactly what he said to the Boys in Blue.....)

Simon

how exactly do you give way when your in the middle of the road while your crossing as it was clear?

there were lots of witnesses as it was at rush hour and many people got out to help. a police car was also around the corner and on scene almost immediatly.

after speaking to my brother today he has found out that the police are planning to charge the driver for dangerous driving. I dont know anything else yet as i am livingover 3 hours away.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    So we have a car that appeared from nowhere (from the satellite picture looks like the middle section is just a kerb?), broke the laws of physics decelerating and the cyclist walks away from an impact that put a car on a low loader.

I'm not convinced the facts are quite as the OP presents......
  • The Rookie
    A broken radiator will put a car with minimal structural damage on a flat bed.

It takes a surprisingly short time to cross a road, even doing 60 the car would have to be quite close to have struck your brother, that close to the roundabaout I doubt it was doing 60 (it could not have given way) and given the impact injuries and the braking distance youve indicated he was probably only doing 40 at the most, possibly less, given the facts you've given us so far I have to say your brother just didn't look well enough is my opinion, thankfully lesson learnt without tragedy, I'd probably support my Sister (no brother) in a similar cicumstance but it wouldn't make me right, nor long term will it helpo him if he doesn't learn from it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    A broken radiator will put a car with minimal structural damage on a flat bed.

True- for some bizzare reason I had a picture of a car with a properly smashed in front end being trailored away :roll: However, I'd still expect a fair bit of injury for the rider from something like that....
  • The Rookie
    Depends on the car, many slightly older small cars (pre-Thatcham cost of repair assessment on insurance groupings) had the radiator within the crumple area of the front bumper before any metal structure, Peugeout 106/Citroen Saxo for example, besides a 1cm thick twig can go through a bumper hole and take out a radiator., so handlebar end for example.

Simon
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    OP said the Brother went into the windscreen, if that was cracked enough to reduce visibility (which it certainly would be if a body slams into at almost any driving speed) then the car would not be drivable.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, another good point, reduces the mashed and mangled front end to maybe a badly cracked screen, crumpled plastic bumper and maybe a holed rad.

Simon