Crack or just a deep scratch?

ryan93
ryan93 Posts: 186
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Had my Voltage FR20 stripped down today to give it a clean and check the bolts and things and noticed that there was a fairly large scratch along one of the welds that hold the chainstay together. Question is, is it a scratch or is it actually a crack? It's quite deep and the tyre comes no where near it to have been caused by a stone caught up in it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6611003/

I'm going to take it back to Dales tomorrow and see what they suggest, but I thought I would post on here first and see what you guys think.

Cheers,
Ryan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like a scratch need more detail.

looks like it is only on the high parts of the weld.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ryan93
    Thanks Nick. Do you think I should still take it back to my lbs and let them have a closer look at it?

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • nicklouse
    well if you are not sure I would definatly get some one to look at it.

Like I said I need a more detailed picture.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ryan93
    I think that if a frame was to crack it would crack pretty close to where the weld meets the tubing and this is almost right on that.

By detailed picture do you mean a closer view? If you click on the 1600x1190 at the side you get bigger picture that's really close up. Apologies if you already knew that :P

Anyway, I'll go into Dales tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully it'll be just a scratch and I can ride it away.
  • nicklouse
    it is a scratch. the big picture makes it obvious.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    from the picture i would second a scratch .
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    probably a scratch
    but i would test further, light pressure on the part (ease it apart) then try to insert a fine feeler gauge into the crack/ scratch, from this you can see how far the feeler gauge actually goes into the "fault", more than a few mm then its probably a crack, if you can slide the gauge into the part then do not ride and will probably cause a major failure in use.
    measure the length of the scratch/ crack and mark the two ends with a sharpie marker
    even if its only a scratch, keep an eye on it after evry run, if its a scratch then it would not grow, if its a crack then it will increase in length and must be replaced/ repaired before reusing
  • ryan93
    Thanks for all the help guys. I tried easing it apart and the line doesn't get wider, nor does the feeler gauge fit into it. But I'll measure it and mark it to see if it grows any the next time I'm out.

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its just a scratch
    1/ If it was a crack it wouldn't be on the weld (thickest section) but the tube
    2/ If it was a crack it would be continous and not stop and start at each highpoint of the weld ripple
    3/ Scratches on welds have to be very deep to reach the trough this hasn't

Its a scratch, ignore it, ride the bike, forget it!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.