What Bike?

segster
segster Posts: 15
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Need some advice form those that know best. Looking to buy a light fast bike that can be used for commuting and also day rides and mini tours. Have a heavy trek ticket 10 and did 160 mile 3 day journey with carrier and panniers etc in April, went ok but far too heavy. Got myself £800 to spend on the cycel to work scheme. What I want is a bike that is light and fast but which can be used on light off road such as canal tow paths and maybe forest tracks. However also want one that can be used for a bit of touring (nothing major) week at the longest. The ones I am currently looking at are

The Trek 7.5 FX disc. My top runner at moment. Got the strength, rigidity and the gears that I need but not as light as the other 2.

The Boardman Team hybrid, seems to me to be as close to a road set up as I can get but I am unsure about it's ability to carry my luggage on tours or what it would be like on mild off road, or over hills with a load on. Is it strong enough, does it have enough gear range for all the things I want to do?

When in a shop the other day I spied a Cube SL Pro. Really like the look of this and it is fairly light. Not sure what it is like as can't see any reviews and also will it fit my needs?

For some reason I like the thought of the disc breaks on the boardman and Trek for the touring, especially as my last mini tour was in appalling weather with strong winds and heavy rain goin up over shap summit in the lakes.

any advice would be most greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Cannondale Synapse Alu Tiagra is well worth a look. Should fit your needs.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    The Whyte commuting bikes are pretty much the benchmark at the moment
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Actually it's Watt Bike.

Oh, wait...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Herbsman wrote:
    Actually it's Watt Bike.

Oh, wait...

Do you know me?
  • segster
    segster Posts: 15
    Thanks for the replies. The cannondale looks a great bike but at this stage in my cycling career I want to have a flat bar bike. The Whyte lookes great also. Sorry to sound a newb but neve heard of Whyte before!! Cambridge looks a good model but only got my cycle to work voucher made out for £800 and I ahve changed it once laready so better stick with that or they won't be best pleased with me.

What do people feel about the 3 bikes I listed before?