tyre sizes

baronsouthside
baronsouthside Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Needed new tyres for my mid 90s Dawes horizon as I slit the rear Nokia trye with some glass. No disgrace as tyre was well worn.

Found Ribble had a sale last week 20% of every basket over 35 pounds so got a great deal on 2 continental touring plus tyres. Just a few pence over £15 each.

Old size on side of tyre was iso 32-622 imperial 28"x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4
so i ordered 2 iso 32-622. i used http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3802 to double check befor buying.

Just fitted them and they do fit but they looked smaller so i looked at the sizing

Iso was the same at 32-622 but the imperial size was smaller 28"x 1 /3/4 x 1 1/4 . That size doesnt appear on the ctc size chart.

As a 16 1/2 stone rider i was comfy on the size that i had but, even thought its only an 1/8 of an inch differance my concern is that the new tyres will be less comfy and maybe puncture i bit more.

I know is not the most exciting thread but has anybody else noticed this? well worth triple checking befor you buy.
If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    *scratches head and looks confused....*
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    I have certainly been confused by tyre and wheel sizes in the past, but I'd have stopped worrying at this point:
    Just fitted them and they do fit
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5