New XT brakes - shortening hose/swapping levers?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

Got new XT brakes today but need to swap the levers (came Euro style) and shorten the hoses. I've found the guide below from Shimano but was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to supplement these instructions?

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... le.html/02)%20Brake%20Hose%20Trimming.pdf

Ideally I'd like to do it without bleeding them - as per the guide above.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to bleed them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 101_North
    That's what I thought initially but the Shimano doc suggests it might be possible to do without a bleed kit. I'll pick one up and then at least I'm ready for anything.

Cheers

• ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    We shortened a pair of Shimano SLX brakes last week following that method and did not need to bleed them. After the hoses were cut and everything was back together I just put some straps round the levers so they were pulled in and left the bike over night. That way any trapped air in the system rose to the lever body and they worked really well after.

Only problem was removing the hose from the front lever, the olive thing was really stuck in and we had to put the black bolt back in a bit and squeeze the lever to force the hose out, lost a little bit of fluid but both levers felt the same the next day.
  • 101_North
    Cheers. I'll give it a go at the weekend. I've ordered the mineral oil etc should I need it. Hopefully not.

Thanks

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    I've done that quite a few times - you can re-use the inner piece but need new olive as the old one cannot be removed wthout damage.

It is as per the instructions; I use a sharp knife to cut the hose - apply some spit or oil to the blade to help cut it - be careful not to slice a finger!

since I did not remove the brkaes from my bke, I use pair of grips to hold the palstic former for the host and tap the iinner piece in with a smal hammer - that is usually the hardest part - make sure the plastic cover, hollow bolt and olive are on the hose as you cannot get them off.

I would bleed the brakes despite what Dr. Shimano says,

Also measure up the hose carefully and allow a bit of slack if your brake levers have reservoir with cap - when bleeding it helps to keep the reservoir horizontal as you would need to twist the levers up (I ride with mine angled downwards).

Cut the hose off in stages - it is easier to cut off a bit more than to add on a bit if too sort!!
  • 101_North
    Cheers. Ordered a yellow funnel thingy as per the bleed instructions (screws into the reservoir - no top cap) and some mineral oil. Should hopefully get it tomorrow so I can give them a good bleed after shortening the hoses - carefully :wink:

Thanks