Stop in the cycle lane to fix a bike = not safe!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Why do some cyclists think it is safe to stop their bikes in the cycle lane and do any of, but not limited to, the following:

Have a chat with someone on the pavement
Fix a mechanical issue
Change an innertube
Answer a mobile.

Seriously, if you are going to stop the bike in the road, then pick it up and move yourself and your bike to the pavement. That way you remove yourself from being yet another obstacle in the road.

Why are some people so blind when it comes to taking other peoples safety into consideration? If you want to use the roads effectively then understand that the expectation is for you not to be a danger to yourself and others. This means taking other road users into consideration when you make a decision.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    +1. Also when you are waiting on the pavement for the lights to change so you can cross the road don't have your bike at 90 degrees to the road so it is blocking the entire path. Keep it parallel to the road so cyclists who are not crossing don't have to stop.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +2
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    These are the same people that stop at the top of an escalator to decide which way to go. They are the hard of thinking.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Veronese68 wrote:
    These are the same people that stop at the top of an escalator to decide which way to go. They are the hard of thinking.

Get's right on my wick that does.

That and people waiting in a queue (say fast food restaurant) with a menu in front of them and when they get to the till then begin to think about what they want... urgh!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gussio
    ^ It shows a lack of consideration for anyone else.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Get's right on my wick that does.

That and people waiting in a queue (say fast food restaurant) with a menu in front of them and when they get to the till then begin to think about what they want... urgh!

I do this, usually, cos the menu is too small to read till I am at the front of the queue.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    or when people just let their dog take a dump on your doorstep and then post a note saying 'from your ex-wife, p.s. fvck you'
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Thick people do my head in. The seem unable to think ahead in any way shape or form.

Included to your lists above:

People who stop to chat right in the way of an asle/doorway etc;
    Drivers who get 'caught' blocking a rode etc because the lights changed. DON'T CROSS THE LINE TILL ITS CLEAR!!!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Do people really stop in cycle lanes to fix bikes? Can't say I've ever seen this.

Seen a few people stop to take/make phone calls - but pretty much only on quiet roads, and pulled all the way over so as not to cause an obstruction.
  • Gussio
    or when people just let their dog take a dump on your doorstep and then post a note saying 'from your ex-wife, p.s. fvck you'

Hell hath no fury like an ex wife scorned
  • Gussio
    Aidy wrote:
    Do people really stop in cycle lanes to fix bikes? Can't say I've ever seen this.

Seen a few people stop to take/make phone calls - but pretty much only on quiet roads, and pulled all the way over so as not to cause an obstruction.

I actually saw someone stopped this morning on the King's Road, fiddling with their chain / rear mech in the gutter. Nothing to stop them from stepping 6" left and being on the pavement.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats my kids - join queue, tell them to decide what you want , get to front of queue, start ordering and one always says "no wait I've changed my mind", or can't decide what drink they want or decide to go mute despite having spent the past 2 hours talking at 95 decibels.

It annoys the hell out of me so god know what the person behind thinks.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    On the other hand can cyclists drafting keep an eye out? I punctured on the Blackfriars underpass last night and despite lots of signalling that I was slowing and pulling over, waiting for a break in the kerb to get out of the cycle lane, I almost had the idiot behind me take me out.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Veronese68 wrote:

Or abandon their shopping trolley in the middle of the aisle and wander off to get some more things to put in it,

WHY????? It can MOVE!!!!

Actually I wait for them to get out of sight and move it to the next aisle :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Veronese68 wrote:

Or abandon their shopping trolley in the middle of the aisle and wander off to get some more things to put in it,

WHY????? It can MOVE!!!!

Actually I wait for them to get out of sight and move it to the next aisle :lol:
    I drop things in it. Like jonnies or KY
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Cars that move over to the left a bit when blocked by someone turning right in front of them. They clearly can't squeeze past but move over anyway to block us lot. senseless!
    We used to do the supermarket thing on trips to France. Pop a bottle of 100 quid wine in with the trolley of plonk, i have grown up now though, honest!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4