• ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Good job i don't live in london then 8)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I read this as the muggers riding bikes, if that was the case it might keep the pedestrians at bay.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Packing heat is the only answer.

Enjoy 228 pages of "How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment"

http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/180561/how-many-of-you-carry-a-gun-as-part-of-your-cycling-equipment
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Back in 04 or 05 a friend of a friend and her boyfriend were both mugged by a gang of youths up in Stoke Newington, they knocked them off their bikes and then nicked both. Not surprised this is on the rise though, bike ownership and use in London is much higher than it was even a few years ago. In the summer it can be hard to find somewhere to park in central London there are so many bikes, that was never a problem back in 2006 when I 1st started cycling to work....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks for the heads-up. Although i don't live in London I do travel through a couple of dodgy areas of Bradford.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I had some toe rags try and surround me just past the police station on lower road a number of months back around midnight. Luckily they were on BMX's so were no match when I put on my SCR hat and left them behind. They did get quite lippy and I heard the words stab you but by then I was well past Surrey Quays station and they were never going to catch me. I did RLJ those lights which I think this time I had a valid excuse.

All because the bloody foot tunnel was closed at Greenwich and I had to cycle back in to Tower Bridge from Canary Wharf to get back out to Lewisham. After 3 games of indoor cricket and some after game refreshments :wink: I was not in the mood for going quick.

If I was a bit slower clocking on to what they were up to it would have been a lot uglier. Thank god for SCR and getting in the habit of looking around when you hear an approaching bike from behind.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    noodles71 wrote:
    I had some toe rags try and surround me just past the police station on lower road a number of months back around midnight. Luckily they were on BMX's so were no match when I put on my SCR hat and left them behind. They did get quite lippy and I heard the words stab you but by then I was well past Surrey Quays station and they were never going to catch me. I did RLJ those lights which I think this time I had a valid excuse.

All because the bloody foot tunnel was closed at Greenwich and I had to cycle back in to Tower Bridge from Canary Wharf to get back out to Lewisham. After 3 games of indoor cricket and some after game refreshments :wink: I was not in the mood for going quick.

If I was a bit slower clocking on to what they were up to it would have been a lot uglier. Thank god for SCR and getting in the habit of looking around when you hear an approaching bike from behind.

Dude, that sounds scary. With the help (and donations) of forum members, we could establish a SE London bike mugging vigilante task force, complete with a decoy Pinarello Dogma (which I'll ride around on every day) to attract muggers.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:

Dude, that sounds scary. With the help (and donations) of forum members, we could establish a SE London bike mugging vigilante task force, complete with a decoy Pinarello Dogma (which I'll ride around on every day) to attract muggers.

Just make sure you have cameras on the bike, i would like to see some of that action :)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • noodles71
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:

Just make sure you have cameras on the bike, i would like to see some of that action :)

:D Especially now I don't leave my cricket bat behnd at the centre and bring it home with me when travelling late at night.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I was cycling towards a big group of hoodies the other night and I thought oh here we go, someone's going to step out in front of me or cause some kind of ruckus or bullsh1t and they didnt, in fact they all stepped aside and one of the charming little oiks even said 'thats a well good bike' and I pushed on home with a big grin on my face.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I was cycling towards a big group of hoodies the other night and I thought oh here we go, someone's going to step out in front of me or cause some kind of ruckus or bullsh1t and they didnt, in fact they all stepped aside and one of the charming little oiks even said 'thats a well good bike' and I pushed on home with a big grin on my face.

This country is going to the dogs. Even our hoodies can't be bothered to put in a proper day's work!
  • Headhuunter
    Gussio wrote:

This country is going to the dogs. Even our hoodies can't be bothered to put in a proper day's work!

I remember going out on a regular Friday night bike ride a few years ago with a bunch of people who used to meet at a pub for a social ride in the evening. One time, way out east on the south bank we were joined by a bunch of oiks who followed along with us, they turned out to be nice enough little rapscallions, although worryingly they seemed to know the exact 2nd hand value of each of our bikes....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    noodles71 wrote:
    Thank god for SCR and getting in the habit of looking around when you hear an approaching bike from behind.

Sorry, can you just clarify this - kids on BMX's where approaching you from behind? Oh the shame of it :? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • noodles71
    Rolf F wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:
    Thank god for SCR and getting in the habit of looking around when you hear an approaching bike from behind.

Sorry, can you just clarify this - kids on BMX's where approaching you from behind? Oh the shame of it :? :lol:
    I know, I know I will put my hand up for that one. I had however been playing a 3 games of a form of cricket indoors which is a lot more strenuous than your average outdoor game. http://youtu.be/6IK1Ncx8xzg

6 of the guys from that England team play here at Canary Wharf so when you play at that level, drink 2-3 pints afterwards and then due to Greenwich council incompetence have an extra 8-9 miles to cycle you really have to be top of your game to be outrunning everyone at midnight.

Besides.... technically they never scalped me although one did get as close as a few feet away.
  • Headhuunter
    noodles71 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:

I know, I know I will put my hand up for that one. I had however been playing a 3 games of a form of cricket indoors which is a lot more strenuous than your average outdoor game. http://youtu.be/6IK1Ncx8xzg

6 of the guys from that England team play here at Canary Wharf so when you play at that level, drink 2-3 pints afterwards and then due to Greenwich council incompetence have an extra 8-9 miles to cycle you really have to be top of your game to be outrunning everyone at midnight.

Besides.... technically they never scalped me although one did get as close as a few feet away.

A new incentive to SCR and go as hard as you can, escape the muggers!
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Muggers are FCN -1
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Haha!

Bike muggers has to be added to the list!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    With regard to the "How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment", I liked comment #10: "I spring-loaded the butt of mine, and concaved the end of the barrel, which has allowed me to attach it to my bike just like a frame pump".

Retro and threatening, lovely.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"