Sudden increase in broken glass?

neilp2000
neilp2000 Posts: 19
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting Worthing to Bognor for the last couple of years, using the A259. This spring I have noticed far more broken glass along the entire route. Are people smashing more things, or have the council stopped sweeping the roads? Luckily I use tough tyres so have not had a puncture, but it would a lot of people off cycling. Grrr

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I use cycle lanes frequently and broken glass on them is a huge problem.

You are correct broken glass does put people off cycling, it is often given as a reason for not riding a bike by some I have spoken to.
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Less road sweeping I think - there is a stretch of roadside cycle lane I use that has had all sorts of grit on it for months. Obviously an easy way to cut costs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On my ride through the Uni campus 2 broken bottles appeared after the weekends 'celebrations' - lots of glass, no PF so far!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Warm weather,more people drinking outside, more broken bottles.
    It always happens in Summer.

Particularly bad patches I clear up rather than let it annoy me every day as I pick my way through it, though Ihaven't had to do that for a while
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I was only saying the other day (oh how old I sound) that there seems to be loads more glass around this year, Bristol seems to be littered with it, haven't seen a road sweeper for yonks so maybe they have been cut back, although soon there'll be enough to fill in the potholes!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Funny you should say that. Picked over a dozen small pieces out of nicks in my tyres this morning.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Had a visit from the unmentionable fairy last night due to a reasonably small piece of glass embedding itself in my rear tyre at the lowest point of the Blackfriars underpass just after the tunnel :( Attributed it to the wet weather causing all sorts of crap to get moved about.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"