New to the forum...embarrassing myself already!

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Dear everyone,

My name is Fred (my username is my surname followed by the first letters of my first and middle names Frederick and Hope...). I am a 22 year old student in Manchester and am looking to get into road biking. I won't do the whole Buying advice thing here as there is a sub-forum for that. Basically have about £1k to spend and have a bit of an idea on what to get but have signed up here to make sure I don't make any silly moves (and because I ought to be revising for final exams).

Interests include weight training, grip training (I weigh 100-105 kg depending on how strict both training and diet are), nature (especially moths), climbing for fun, walking my dog when I am at home in Wiltshire, seeing other countries and plenty of other gubbins.

A small, embarrassing, bike related ice breaker is that I have only ever had one tick attached to me. After a bike ride I noticed (whilst urinating) that one had attached itself right to the end of my "gentleman's sausage". There is no easy way to approach your own mother (even if se is a nurse) and ask her to remove a tick from your bellend... :oops:

If anyone has any advice for a newbie with about £1k to spend, look and advise in the buying sub-forum.

Look forward to learning a lot,

Fred.

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    Welcome to the forum and the world of cycling, thanks for making me laugh

As for bike you will get different loads of advice from people as most bikes in the £1000 mark are good.
    Mine would be to get something that fits you, with strong wheels and a alu frame (I would prefer a good alu over a cheap carbon any day) and something that you think looks nice
  • coombsfh
    Welcome to the forum and the world of cycling, thanks for making me laugh

As for bike you will get different loads of advice from people as most bikes in the £1000 mark are good.
    Mine would be to get something that fits you, with strong wheels and a alu frame (I would prefer a good alu over a cheap carbon any day) and something that you think looks nice

Glad I made you smile, Pete. Got the "dilema thread" up in what to buy sub-forum. The longer I look the more I find that I don't have a clue!

Stiff and racy over comfortable, alu over carbon are the two main things atm...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    coombsfh wrote:
    Dear everyone,

My name is Fred (my username is my surname followed by the first letters of my first and middle names Frederick and Hope...). I am a 22 year old student in Manchester and am looking to get into road biking. I won't do the whole Buying advice thing here as there is a sub-forum for that. Basically have about £1k to spend and have a bit of an idea on what to get but have signed up here to make sure I don't make any silly moves (and because I ought to be revising for final exams).

Interests include weight training, grip training (I weigh 100-105 kg depending on how strict both training and diet are), nature (especially moths), climbing for fun, walking my dog when I am at home in Wiltshire, seeing other countries and plenty of other gubbins.

A small, embarrassing, bike related ice breaker is that I have only ever had one tick attached to me. After a bike ride I noticed (whilst urinating) that one had attached itself right to the end of my "gentleman's sausage". There is no easy way to approach your own mother (even if se is a nurse) and ask her to remove a tick from your bellend... :oops:

If anyone has any advice for a newbie with about £1k to spend, look and advise in the buying sub-forum.

Fred.

Either the grass was very long or you are...... :lol:
    Some people swear by Cannondale's in your price range. Find a bike shop that will let you test-ride some different models; it's amazing the differences between seemingly-similar bikes.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    coombsfh wrote:
    Dear everyone,

Fred.

As you come from deepest Wiltshire I'm surprised it's the first time you've approached your Mum with your "bellend"

I too have an interest in Entomology. My new girlfriend has seen my Moths and Butterflies and tonight I'm hoping she'll be going through my flies.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • coombsfh
    I like this forum already....

Entomology, incest, penises (updates interests in profile).

As for test rides I liked the rigidity of the Allez but disliked the relative slackness of the secteur (no innuendo here).

Keen to try a few more, any thoughts on ribble's ultralite?

Fred
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Cracking first posting Fred!
    I'd recommend my Specialized Allez Elite, the 2011 version has a slightly nicer frame to mine as well.
    Manchester has some very good bike shops- the famous Harry Halls, Royles in Wilmslow, Bikeshak in Altrincham, Rick Green in Handforth, Cookson's in Whitefield. Edinburgh bicycles down near Uni is ok too.
    Hope both you and your Mother have recovered!
  • Spend the cash on a Fuji.
  • coombsfh
    Yes, I tried Edinburgh. They are very hands on (god this innuendo war is a losing battle already - might as well change my name to Village idiot already and be done with it).

I fitted a 56cm Elite very well and found it most expedient up and down the curry mile. As for the other shops, I am keen to try them BUT must do my exams first. new bike can be a reward on june the 7th for completing everything.

Once I have bought one I have a reclusive week in the peaks planned to get accustomed to road riding; good idea or a bit much for someone who just commutes (albeit with great vim and fury) on a hybrid in top gear everywhere?

Fred

PS Aggieboy, if you like moths you will love these...
    privet2.jpg
    Privet1.jpg
  • coombsfh
    Spend the cash on a Fuji.

Which one in particular (bearing in mind racy feel is more important than plushness)?
  • aphill24
    aphill24 Posts: 21
    Trek 2,1 ,Very good frame and all round bike.
  • coombsfh
    aphill24 wrote:

One of the girls on my course has a trek and loves it...I can't wait to go testing!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    coombsfh wrote:
    aphill24 wrote:

One of the girls on my course has a trek and loves it...I can't wait to go testing!

Good idea, don't forget to try a few different surfaces to make sure she's a good ride.
  • Aggieboy
    coombsfh wrote:
    Yes, I tried Edinburgh. They are very hands on (god this innuendo war is a losing battle already - might as well change my name to Village idiot already and be done with it).

I fitted a 56cm Elite very well and found it most expedient up and down the curry mile. As for the other shops, I am keen to try them BUT must do my exams first. new bike can be a reward on june the 7th for completing everything.

Once I have bought one I have a reclusive week in the peaks planned to get accustomed to road riding; good idea or a bit much for someone who just commutes (albeit with great vim and fury) on a hybrid in top gear everywhere?

Fred

PS Aggieboy, if you like moths you will love these...
    privet2.jpg
    Privet1.jpg

Dear Fred,

As you've already admitted to embarrassing yourself, I hope you don't mind me kindly suggesting that you re-read what I wrote. While doing so please keep in mind this is 'Cake Stop'.

Aggieboy.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Hi Fred, cracking 1st post.

All I would say is whatever bike you go for make sure you get measured up for it, then once you have it get it set up for you properly by a professional.
    Best £ you will ever spend.

James.
  • coombsfh
    As you've already admitted to embarrassing yourself, I hope you don't mind me kindly suggesting that you re-read what I wrote. While doing so please keep in mind this is 'Cake Stop'.

Aggieboy

Aggieboy,

I got it...don't worry :roll: . Just have a genuine interest in moths and have a shedload of photos and believe an all out multi-media asault to be the best entry to any forum.
    Good idea, don't forget to try a few different surfaces to make sure she's a good ride.

Am already experiencing sordid successes with one of her housemates so the transition (or suggestion of) an impartial third party is one I will look into... :wink:
  • coombsfh
    JD_76 wrote:
    Hi Fred, cracking 1st post.

All I would say is whatever bike you go for make sure you get measured up for it, then once you have it get it set up for you properly by a professional.
    Best £ you will ever spend.

James.

I will definitely get set up right, my current commuter bike marmalises my testes on longer rides so need to remedy that if nothing else!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Moths you say? While once enjoying a nice al-fresco wee I had to run away from a moth that was repeatedly dive-bombing my end. If you've ever swatted a moth you'll know it can turn to dust. I feared the same thing happening if it got wet via contact with my helmet and had to run away while still weeing.

That's all I've got.

£1k bikes, you ask? Er, sorry, dunno...

*Sidles off, whistling*
  • coombsfh
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Moths you say? While once enjoying a nice al-fresco wee I had to run away from a moth that was repeatedly dive-bombing my end. If you've ever swatted a moth you'll know it can turn to dust. I feared the same thing happening if it got wet via contact with my helmet and had to run away while still weeing.

That's all I've got.

*Sidles off, whistling*

Christ, I don't want to get a reputation for some sort of public-urinating-moth-fetish-doesn't-even-own-a-road-bike-wierdo. Nevertheless, I have swatted a moth but never had my masculine area "dive bombed" by one even once, let alone repeatedly.

Might I recommend not having alfresco wees at night and not using a head torch to illuminate the doubtless untanned area incorporating the urinating equipment...
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Buying a £1k bike?

Don't get it on tick.

-Spider-
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Hi,welcome to the forum

I think you should have swallowed your pride and shown it to your Mum.

She was more than happy to inspect mine! :lol:
  • coombsfh
    oscar-j wrote:
    Hi,welcome to the forum

I think you should have swallowed your pride and shown it to your Mum.

She was more than happy to inspect mine! :lol:

Coming from wiltshire, i did show it to her and my pride was not all that was swallowed...!
  • Aggieboy
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

That's all I've got.

*Sidles off, whistling*

I'm glad you saw the light and were drawn to this thread, otherwise we would have been Chrisless.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why do I squeal like a girl and run if a moth comes near me yet coo and try to catch butterflies?

Get a cannondale btw.
  • Ticks will come off if you turn them anti-clockwise.
    Honest.
    2014 Genesis CDF
    2010 Boardman MTB Comp

Gifted enough to extract twice the fat and calories from any food.....
  • Aggieboy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Why do I squeal like a girl and run if a moth comes near me yet coo and try to catch butterflies?

Get a cannondale btw.

Very recent phobia? Moths are rather more skittish and unpredictable, while butterflies seem to know what they are doing and are more calm. :wink:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Aggieboy wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

That's all I've got.

*Sidles off, whistling*

I'm glad you saw the light and were drawn to this thread, otherwise we would have been Chrisless.

Strong posting! *Applause*
  • Anonymous
    Aggieboy wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Get a cannondale btw.

Very recent phobia? Moths are rather more skittish and unpredictable, while butterflies seem to know what they are doing and are more calm. :wink:

You may be right!

Soundtrack accompanying moth = Death Metal

Soundtrack accompanying butterfly = Debussy
  • coombsfh wrote:
    Spend the cash on a Fuji.

Which one in particular (bearing in mind racy feel is more important than plushness)?
    I ride a Roubaix 1.0 and I can't praise it's awesomeness enough.

They didn't do a 2011 exactly, and replaced it with the Team.

The trick with the Roubaix frame is it's so damn comfortable, the geometry is relaxed but still racy and 6 hour rides are no problem if you have the right seat/shorts chamois combo.

I find Evans are bulletproof also, you can have the bike on a no quibble 30 day trial and ride the arse off it to test it out, then if it's not for you send it back and pick again or go elsewhere, and they mean it. I rode the first Fuji I had for 500 miles, sent it back to go up a frame size and no fuss, delivered without issue and old one taken away.

I'm constantly drawn to my Roubaix much like a moth to a flame...
  • coombsfh
  • Anonymous
    If it fits, buy it! Awesome bike. I'd have it if it was bigger :(