Can you Mount a Front Disc brake sold as IS as Post Mount?

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
It looks as if this should be possible by just missing out the IS adpater and fitting the brake direclty to the PM, but I'm sure there must be a subtle alignment issue that would mean the disc would not align with the calliper. Would it, or is this in fact possible? I should know the answer, but I've only ever fitted IS specc'd brakes to IS forks and likewise for PM, and i'm too knackered to think straight :oops:
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The mounts are available. But what size rotor? What disc brake and fork too?
  • myopic
    IS mount brake is an Elixir R with 160 disc, fork is a Fox Float PM. Haven't got the tow available to try, so I was wondering if you could just chuck away the IS adapter and put it staright on, but like I said, I think (expect) there would be alignmnet issues.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the brake is Post mount anyway just fit it,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • myopic
    Thanks, Nick, that's what I was wondering! So the only difference with an Avid Elixir R Front Brake sold as IS mount vs one sold as PM is that the IS one comes with an adapter? Chuck that away and the IS mount front brake becomes a PM one?

It looked like that would be the case, but with them being sold as different I expected there must be some non-obvious alignment issues.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Indeed, that is the case! And why I asked what brake you had hehe ;-)

Bolt straight on tothe mounts for use with a 160mm rotor.
  • myopic
    Thanks, Guys!

Out of curiousity, would the same also apply to bigger rotors? I mean if you had a 185 IS brake, then you could still mount that as PM, but you would need to get spacers to move it back?
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    The mount acts as the spacer...You'll need apropriate length bolts though.
  • myopic
    OK, but a 185 PM mount adapter with the approprioate bolts would do the trick?
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Yep buy a 185 pm/pm mount and bolt it up....
  • myopic
    Phew, just thought it couildn't be that simple. Nice to know for once it is. Now I can sleep without this going round in my head all night!!