mtb shorts

mtb crazy
mtb crazy Posts: 245
edited May 2011 in Women
heya girls, im a newbie and would really love it if you could point me in the right direction of womens mtb shorts. which are recommended that you have tried/bought?

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Ooooh, there are loads of nice and very good ladies MTB shorts out there....

I prefer Altura padded liners, with baggy shorts over the top. For the shorts I like Loeka (a canadian company), Altura, Endura and Fox. The sizes and styles vary a lot though, so I would find a bike shop with a decent stock of ladies kit (tough, I know :? :( ) and try loads on!

Depending on what size you are, there always seems to be a good supply of sale ladies kit around too!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Go down your lbs and try some decent lycra shorts, either shorts or 3/4. Try to get ones with a decent female specific pad.

Then just wear board shorts with the liner cut out over the top. A lot more choice over colours and styles and better quality lycra underneath, everyone wins! The other bonus is that you can have several pairs of overshorts for different conditions including waterproof, lightweight summer and then heavier autumnal ones.
  • mtb crazy
    miss notax, yeah it is hard finding a shop that has a decent amount of womens stuff :( ive got a shop not far from me called cycle zone but they mainly do mens clothes. thanks for the recommendations though, will look them up! cant wait to get some padded shorts as atm i just have normal baggy shorts to go out in and they arent brilliantly comfy.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I really rate these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-ladies-t ... ng-shorts/ with baggy shorts over the top - and they are in the sale on Wiggle at the moment :D

I find them very comfy - the sizes are pretty realistic to your usual dress size.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    mtb crazy wrote:
    miss notax, yeah it is hard finding a shop that has a decent amount of womens stuff :( ive got a shop not far from me called cycle zone but they mainly do mens clothes. thanks for the recommendations though, will look them up! cant wait to get some padded shorts as atm i just have normal baggy shorts to go out in and they arent brilliantly comfy.

Locally for mtb gear:

Evans are probably best for a good selection of lady specific gear.

Rotec Cycles in Shinfield Reading are good for servicing

Mountain Trax in Wokingham are best for serious stuff from full wheel builds to suspension servicing.

Also in Reading theres Action bikes opposite Primark and Scukco at the end of Smelly Alley. Both stores very much like Cycle Zone so not for serious gear and are more Male orientated. Scukco are more for street and bmx bikes.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • mtb crazy
    the priory, cheers for that ive never noticed action bikes despite being in reading a million times lol. will check that out. wheres the local evans shop? i looked in Scukco the other day and yeah its small and didnt really have clothes, though i managed to get a good muc off cleaning kit which was cool.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    I second Miss Notax in recommending Atura and Loeka. I've just got a load of really cheap Loeka stuff (they have good sales) direct from them in Canada... gorgeous, well designed and comfy to ride in :D . Took a long while to get here though as it comes overland not airmail!! Well worth the wait though!

Kathg
  • mtb crazy
    thanks Kathg, i will have a look soon for that brand :)
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I love the Endura humvee 3/4 shorts myself, lots of pockets, comfy, not so narrow that you can't wear knee pads....although I'm a bit partial to 'low slung' and haven't really found anything that quite works.
    Go down your lbs and try some decent lycra shorts, either shorts or 3/4. Try to get ones with a decent female specific pad.

Then just wear board shorts with the liner cut out over the top. A lot more choice over colours and styles and better quality lycra underneath, everyone wins! The other bonus is that you can have several pairs of overshorts for different conditions including waterproof, lightweight summer and then heavier autumnal ones.

Now this is a good idea. Looks like I know what I'll be doing when I want some more shorts!
  • DanielleT
    DanielleT Posts: 259
    I swear by Loeka and Fox clothing, check out their websites for suppliers and ordering online, their smalls do fit size 8-10 so guessing medium 10-12 etc. The loeka shorts don't come with liners but are incredably hard wearing and good for DH plus are girly enough in the right way. The fox ones are more XC orientated baggies (well the ones i've got anyways) but again are hard wearing and do come with a linear. For DH there is the TLD kit but its waaaay too expensive unless you've got the money for it. I tend to go for the royal kit in small and XS (in funky purple and blue) and it fits fine, it doesn't matter if its not a girly fit as its got to get over armour anyways!!

I find that bike shops are rubbish for nice ladies cycling wear, I tend to order mine online try it on and send it back if its naff or doesn't fit. Think its the only way to go really until bike shops start catering for ladies as more ladies get into biking.
    delightfully dangerous!
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    Women's MTB specific baggies don't fit me as I have the curves of a woman over the ass, but I have muscly, bloke like thighs from snowboarding so they don't fit round the legs :(

(Don't even mention the trouble I had buying a climbing harness to fit with a tiny waist and tree trunk thighs!!)

I rock women's Nike padded shorts (probably made for road bikers but I don't care, can pick them up for a fiver in the sale). I wear not one, but 2 pairs of those over the top of each other to prevent a sore ass, then I wear men's board shorts over the top. Cheap and effective :D

On top I wear a woman's gym top or thermal depending on the weather then a blokes small Fox DH shirt over the top of that. Women's tops are too short for me and end up looking like some sort of cropped top, which would be fine if it was on purpose, but its not!!! :evil:

Perhaps I am a strange shape :?
    Ride it like you stole it!