Bibshorts recommendations up to around £100

Guglielmo
Guglielmo Posts: 579
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Heard good things about some De Marchi, Castelli, Santini, FS260 Pros etc....

I want a pretty thick pad and a comfy fit with minimal seams (like seam-free inner leg).

Any recommendations guys?

Ta :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Castelli are the tops. :)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Giordana TenaX Pro from RIBBLE

Assos quality. DHB prices. size up!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Castelli Free Aero Race bib shorts
  • Guglielmo
    Cheers guys, keep em coming!! Checking them all out as we speak...
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    best pair i have is the giordana body clone- not cheap but the chamois has gel in, and they are noticeably more comfy than the Tenax Carbon

review here

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-revie ... /3427.html
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Shutt VR pro bibs. Hand made in UK. Perfect.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a pair of Shutt VR Pro, Assos Uno, Assos Mille, Giordana Tenax, Pearl Izumi (can't remember but the top ones) and Castelli Free Aero Race.

TBH they are all excellent but the Castellis are my faves, the pad is sublime and they feel silky smooth. They look the best too IMO, but this is subjective.

There is a review of the Shutts on the review site in my signature. For the price the Shutts are real contenders...
  • chrisbonnie
    chrisbonnie Posts: 55
    Biemme Pure bib-shorts, with the gel pad

generally i reckon once you get a good quality gel pad, you're onto a winner

ive been wearing Santini geltech ones for over a year now and love them, but would place the Biemme Pures ahead of them, the pad is thicker, and the fit in general is just alot better

but you wont go wrong with either

just dont buy anything cheap, try and get a gel chamois, you'll be a convert in no time
  • Padgie
    Padgie Posts: 20
    Castelli Free Aero Race bib shorts all the way, brilliant!!
  • SteveBowen
    SteveBowen Posts: 23
    Castelli Free Aero Race bibs.

And why don't you splash out on an Aero Race Jersey at the same time they look great together.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Splash a bit more for Castelli Bodypaints. Slightly more comfortable than the Free Aeros but not as good looking...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    I really like Nalini Lambro - realy comfy to ride in, light compression in the legs too, which (allegedly) helps muscle recovery and reduces fatigue. Or the other way round :-)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for the Castelli Free Aero's(added bonus is they match my Castelli club shirt!)
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I've got 2 pairs of Etxeondo Press bibs. Approx £75 and compare favourably to the various Assos I've had. The chamois is just as comfortable, but Assos has the slight edge on fit.
  • markos1963
    This months Cyling Plus has a bib short test in it.

Winner= Castelli Free Aero :wink:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited May 2011
    Cervo Rosso produce the best bib shorts I've ever worn. I was a confirmed Assos wearer until l got these.
    http://lakescyclist.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/cevo-rosso-first/

(Disclaimer: I was provided with these f.o.c. in exchange for test feed back, but the opinions are very much my own and are genuine)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sportful are very good, fairly new brand I think but top quality and decidedly different designs. Very comfortable.
  • Guglielmo
    Thanks again everyone, some very useful recommendations there!

Its looking like the Free Aeros deserve a try. C+ are normally good judges and the quote below from Mr NapD is a definite real-world recommendation! Cheers.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have a pair of Shutt VR Pro, Assos Uno, Assos Mille, Giordana Tenax, Pearl Izumi (can't remember but the top ones) and Castelli Free Aero Race.

TBH they are all excellent but the Castellis are my faves, the pad is sublime and they feel silky smooth. They look the best too IMO, but this is subjective.

There is a review of the Shutts on the review site in my signature. For the price the Shutts are real contenders...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited May 2011
    I highly recommend Sugoi rs flex if you want shorts with a thick and super comfy pad ( but they have alot of seams). Exteondo dicolor are nice (not many seams) -they don't have leg grippers which works really well. Giordana Tenax look the part but aren't as comfortable on long rides.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    dodgy wrote:
    Sportful are very good, fairly new brand I think but top quality and decidedly different designs. Very comfortable.

Sportful are the parent company of Castelli.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • WilsonHW
    WilsonHW Posts: 32
    Sportful Bodyfit Pro, as used by Saxo Bank minus the logos.

The sizing is very much on the small side, I've had to take a size XL being 6 foot with fairly large thighs and arse. I was a large with the Shutt VR bib shorts.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    WilsonHW wrote:
    Sportful Bodyfit Pro, as used by Saxo Bank minus the logos.

The sizing is very much on the small side, I've had to take a size XL being 6 foot with fairly large thighs and ars*. I was a large with the Shutt VR bib shorts.

Most Italian clothing comes up smaller. Know as 'Italian' sizing.
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    Anyone tried the Santini Max Primo?
  • markos1963 wrote:

This months copy not yet in store, anybody scan it post the test?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 wrote:

This months copy not yet in store, anybody scan it post the test?

Sorry I forgot I get my copy ealy due to being a subscriber :D
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I bought my copy in local newsagent today.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Craft performance, Sportful body fit & Santini max bibs are all good for me! Have also used DHB from Wiggle and they are pretty decent pants. The body fit are really snug but i read somewhere that this is for compression purposes. 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Guglielmo
    I got some Castelli Ergo bibshorts with the Kiss pad. They are really nice and a bit cheaper than the Free Aero, but will be buying another pair of bibs soon as I need more than one pair.

I'm normally a Large in Endura and Pearl Izumi but had to go for XXL (!) in the Castelli to get the straps long enough.

I'm 188cm and 35" waist, height-wise they are great, waist-wise could be tighter, but comfy as they are. I think XL would be too short height-wise and leg-wise.

Legs are SHORT though, really short, even shorter than my old Assos, about half-way down my thighs. Almost hot pants! :shock:
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    I paid a ridiculous £6.50 for Cycling Plus because it was paired with some Ironman magazine, and it didn't even have the bib short article I wanted to read. Should've re-read the post here and realised Markos was talking about the May issue, not the issue that comes out in May (June issue).

When I finally get kitted out I'm either springing for the Castelli Aero Race or Assos Uno S5's. Anyone have both and could explain their preference?