mtb when its wet weather

2»

Comments

• mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    mine are quite big tyres i think, ill have an experiment though :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're worried about coming off the bike, then you've probably got the wrong hobby. Crashing is part of life in mountain biking.
    As is rain, wind snow and ice.

I wouldn't take any notice of anything YeehaaMcGee says.

If you want to ride in the sunshine on canal towpaths then by all means do so - it is still mountain biking.

Of course "real" mountainbiking (the sort YeeHaaMcGee does) is a really extreme sport only suitable for hard core people (bit like YeeHaaMcGee as it happens).

No it takes time to build up confidence, just go out when it's raining and find your limits. Decent tyres will improve confidence enormously. If you don't want to fall off just take it easy.

As you build up experience you will become a true mountainbiker (like YeeHaa McGee) and fall of regularly (also like YeeHaaMcGee).
    Don't be a prick. I said none of those things.
    What I DID say, which luckily you quoted is that MTBing consists of all thse things.
    No reason not to ride in all weathers, the bikes are perfectly capable of it.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I try and compliment you on your extreme riding skills YeeHaa and your ability to go out in all weathers including snow and ice (ooooh! errr!) and all you can be is abusive. That's not very nice.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    I ride in all weather's and all seasons and think it can teach you essential skills/knowledge.

Think of it from the point of view that if you can stay upright in/on wet sloppy mud, roots like bars of soap, icy and snowy conditions, then just imagine how much better it will all feel when the dry dusty trails of summer returns.

Then there'e the fitness aspect, if you only ride in fair weather, you are losing out on keeping the routine going.
  • Anonymous
    I try and compliment you on your extreme riding skills YeeHaa and your ability to go out in all weathers including snow and ice (ooooh! errr!) and all you can be is abusive. That's not very nice.
    Whilst I am pleased that you look upon me as some kind of god, it appears you have done what most religionists do, and twisted your god's (my) words well beyond their original meaning.
  • Father Faff
    YeeHaa, anyone with 18792 posts has got to be some kind of God. Have you ever tried sub-aqua mountain biking by the way?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Anonymous
    No, but i have tried lake jumping, which is part way there.
    Why are all the crazy people all obsessed with post counts on this forum?
  • mtb crazy
    as im new to MTBing, im just going out and having fun. Its building up my confidence all the time and i always try to push myself that little bit further each time, so far with success. whoop! though i have had falls i just get straight back on again and do the same bit. did some steps for the first time the other day, that was abit scary but i made it ok!

to say i never thought i would be able to do this kind of thing and now im doing more than i thought i could ever do is amazing. i am female and find it abit scary at times but its great fun :)
  • Anonymous
    mtb crazy wrote:
    i am female and find it abit scary at times but its great fun :)
    I'll have to admit, I'd be scared if I suddenly found myself being female, but I'm sure I'd have some fun. :lol:
  • mtb crazy
    ha ha ha! you know what i mean! :P :lol: i think its abit scarier for women MTBing cos it can be intimidating being with you guys who will ride anything and dont seem so bothered about coming off and getting badly injured. thats why i take it slow and build up confidence, ill get there but im not gonna do something that im very doubtful of :wink:
  • Father Faff
    YeeHaa, anyone with 18792 posts has got to be some kind of God. Have you ever tried sub-aqua mountain biking by the way?

I was trying to post here a picture of an early lake jump and sub-aqua mountain biking but I can't figure out how to get photos from my PC onto this forum - any clues guys?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Crashing in the wet is a lot more fun than crashing in the dry
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • mtb crazy
    i can imagine it being on some terrain but not others.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    cooldad wrote:
    On the bright side, crashing in mud tends to hurt less.

On the less bright side, crashing in bad weather often means that no one's going to find your broken body until the rain has stopped.

:P

Wet weather riding is ace, just have to mind the extra slipperiness of roots and some rocks.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I was trying to post here a picture of an early lake jump and sub-aqua mountain biking but I can't figure out how to get photos from my PC onto this forum - any clues guys?
    explained here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12611059
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    our local trail cwm has way more grip in the wet...
  • mmafan
    mmafan Posts: 26
    No Probs MTB crazy.

i started about 44 years ago.

Even though I ride Dh it doesn't mean I'm good at it. I still fall on occassion, and so do the pro's, lol:)

Its all a learning experience and you'll find your learning ccurve will rocket and then plateu and then rocket again. This happens to everyone.

Having a sense of humour about it definately helps. If Im knackered I'm cranky and I ride like a one legged war veteran.

To answer your queastion I've only been riding about 4-5 years.

I raced in the SDA to and broke my colar bon at Fort William so that should give you an idea about my earlier statement of not being any good, lol.

Time on the bike and a good attitude will help your riding progress without a shadow of a doubt. Having someone ride with you help you improve as well as they will be able to give you tips for tricky sections and you can help learn of each other.......

As long as you keep it fun you'll be ok. All in good time:)

Hope you're still having fun on the trails!
    Spesh Rockhopper 2005, Giant Glory Zero 2007, KTM Flavour 2009, Canyon Strive 7.0 2011
  • I use trailrakers all year round- they say they're winter tyres etc but as Unixnerd would probably agree that's all year round here!
    I prefer flatties in the winter too because then you can wear a decent pair of lightweight hiking boots and sealskins below, and get your foot down quicker should you lose it.
    Wet tree roots are fecking lethal though, don't mind anything else but crossing a cluster of wet roots on a bend fills me with dread(esp cos I ride alone and also at night!)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Wet roots/rocks are slippery customers, but tyres (as others have said) help loads. My old tyres where narrow hard compound mud tyres, my new ones are wider soft
    Compound. The difference is astounding!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mtb crazy wrote:
    lost boy saint, thanks for advice. are they good for beginners then? theres so much out there i dont know whats good and whats not though i guess i should try the tryes youve mentioned and yeah hopefully that will be a good confidence boost. what tyres do you use? atm i have shwalbe rapid rob which i find seem to have good traction.

Sorry mate, only just picked this up.

I use Bontrager MudX - the guys I normally ride with are almost 50-50 split between MudX and Trailrakers and each seems to do a great job (and get constantly good reviews from the mags). Both are fine in the dry but just a little bit squirly compared to something with slightly smaller knobblies so I change to a Panaracer Rampage SC for the summer, awesome traction in anything.

I couldn't believe the difference in traction that a decent mud tyre made. Up until last winter I'd always just plugged on with whatever was on the bike but I made the decision to change this time around and am now enjoying even better winter riding.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mtb crazy
    Roger, my tyres are quite wide aswell which i like and gives me more confidence!

its raining today and i cant be bothered to go out riding and get wet :P i need to waterproof gear yet then i will go out in the rain. hope its better at the weekend so i can go swinley though.