No quick-release wheels. Puncture repair strategy?

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, got wheels that are bolted on, but for some reason still carrying the puncture kit and a spare tube with me. Changing the tube is probably not an option, and finding a puncture and patching it up without removing the wheel sounds fiddly.

What do ppl do in a similar situation?

PS Dahon folding bike.

Thanks.

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited May 2011
    Buy quick release wheels or qr skewers :!:

Don't forget that you can use the same "foam filler" spray that that cars use, screws into the valve and goes in under pressure, the tube will have to be disposed of but it will get you to work and back in an emergency.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Changing the tube is an option. My hybrid has bolt-on wheels; my puncture repair kit includes a piece of sheet steel with various nut sizes cut out (calling it a spanner would be dignifying it too much!) to remove the wheel. Not flash, not big, but it works.

You could repair a tube without taking the wheel off, but you couldn't swap it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take the correct tools with you.

or
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sidewinder-shopsidewinder/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Its not that fiddly fixing a puncture without taking the wheel off. Take the tyre off one side ( as you would normally) pull the tube out - obvously you cant take it away from the bike as the wheel is still on. Pump air into the tube and listen / look for the hole. Once found patch and replace the tube. Re seat the tyre and inflate.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • H*Bomb
    H*Bomb Posts: 10
    Do you have bolt on wheels for fear of getting them stolen, or do they just happen to be bolt on and you have not switched to skewers?
  • bikeboon
    bikeboon Posts: 81
    nicklouse wrote:

Great idea, thanks.