fittness for the MTB

steamboat
steamboat Posts: 54
hi all

whats the best traning i can do when im not on the bike to get me fitter for the bike?

thanks

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    SPinning classes/exercise bike.

You don't see Contador or Cavendish out jogging/rowing... they cycle.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Run on the spot, whilst leaning forward as though you're in the riding position.

Ahem, seriously though...
    I found that running was great for developing sprinting endurance. It gets you used to sustained periods of very high intensity activity.
  • steamboat
    steamboat Posts: 54
    thanks for all the advise, i did find a few bits for core and upper body stuff desigend for mtb riding
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    aerobics would probably work aswell, anything that will get your heart pumping
  • Anonymous
    weeksy59 wrote:

Well to be honest, I've never seen conquistador or cuttlefish on a bike either.
  • Rick_huggins
    Rick_huggins Posts: 184
    Drink plenty of Speckled Hen!
    Rockin': Specialized Rockhopper 2008
    Rollin': Orange 5 Custom
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17023937#17023937

Previous:
    Specialized Enduro Expert 2004
    Boardman HT Pro 2010
    Kona Stuff
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on the couch, drink beer and wear a shirt with Rooney on the back. Or is that football training? Never sure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    weeksy59 wrote:

Well to be honest, I've never seen conquistador or cuttlefish on a bike either.

That's becuase you're 11 and have lived a sheltered life.
  • Anonymous
    Of course I am. It's so obvious now.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731

I found that running was great for developing sprinting endurance. It gets you used to sustained periods of very high intensity activity.

+1
    Biggest boost in fitness this year was training for a Half Marathon. It seems shocking your body by doing other activities really has a positive impact on fitness.

Other advantages of cross training is that it allows you to still do activities on what would be considered 'rest days'.

But it depends on how much time you have. If not much, some form of cycling will probably be best.
    Simon
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    In my opinion the best fitness to improve MTB'ing is a road bike!, In our club the quickest people up the hills on a club ride is the roadies!.. you can actually tell who the roadies are in the group.

One of our guys struggled like mad on his MTB with fitness, lungs etc.. He started training on a road bike 6 months ago and lost around 3 stone in weight, and now he is really quick on flats and uphill. A wimp downhill though!! :lol::lol: (Roadies in our club have nerves of a cat when downhill! :lol: )
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    saprkzz wrote:
    In my opinion the best fitness to improve MTB'ing is a road bike!,
    and visa versa.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown