Boxing question (Middleweight)

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Why did Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins never fight each other?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What? 4 in a ring?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The Benn vs Eubank bouts were incredible
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I think Roy Jones was fighting at middleweight at the time whilst Benn and Eubank were super middleweights
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Maybe they were wary of each other's skills? Like Riddick Bowe never faced off against Lennox Lewis.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    If it wasn't due to the weight differences, as mentioned above (possibly different weight divisions), then as with most things in boxing, it would have been about money\politics.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    Don't ask me Ask Don King

He runs boxing
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sorry, I meant:

Why haven't Benn or Eubank fight Jones Jr or Hopkins?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sorry, I meant:

Why haven't Benn or Eubank fight Jones Jr or Hopkins?

Benn vs. Jones was sort-of ducked on both sides at different times: Jones first, as it would have meant a step-up to Super-Middleweight, so he chose to fight Hopkins, then by Benn, who was asking for an astronomical purse.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hopkins wasn't really a big deal at the time Benn and Eubank were at their peak - it was Roy Jones and James Toney. To be honest, I think Eubank was happy fighting domestic challengers, Benn wanted a big purse and also after McClennan was both battle scarred and avoided.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    *cough* Steve Collins *cough*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Partly timing, partly divisions, partly different belts/promoters partly Bernard Hopkins biggest rival was Winky Wright.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    BTW - this is one of the bravest sporting stories ever

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/articles/fo ... -stafford/

Ian Stafford's book, Playground of the Gods, is absolutely superb for a sports fan.

He's a Daily Mail journo. He takes a year off work to play sport against the best i.e Springboks, Redgrave, Kenyan runners, Jansher Khan, Aussie ODI team.

Culminates in him fighting Roy Jones jr.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    RJJ wanted nothing to do with Benn at that point in his career - high risk, low reward. Eubank, as basically a LHW when he stepped into the ring, even more so. Neither really would have been box office in America. I think RJJ was one of the most talented boxers to ever lace up gloves; however it's a shame that he never fought the best this side of the Atlantic. BHop wasn't really in the picture at that time.

@THW - Collins, good as he was, caught both Benn and Eubank at the right time!
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Calzaghe - Jones,both in their prime-what a fight that would have been
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I think Jones would have been too much for Joe.
    [/img]
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    who knows? both great talents.it's a shame many fighters fought each other at different stages in their careers.tyson-lewis being another one.both towards the end of their careers,but one in his prime and the other a shadow of what he once was