First post - hello fellow commuters

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi folks, as the title says this is my first post on bikeradar.com and as I'm a convert to commuting by pushbike I thought it should be in this forum.

I've been lurking since I started commuting and have found the advice on the boards very helpful and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

My name is Craig, I'm 39-years-old going on mid teens according to my long-suffering wife and have been commuting by pushbike three times a week for the past 5 weeks. On the days that I'm not using the pushbike I stick to two wheels but with an engine...makes it so much easier (though less rewarding).

I live in Dumbarton, Scotland and work in Glasgow so my commute, according to mapometer.co.uk is just over 30 miles in and out which is getting easier...at last!

Thanks again for all the information and hopefully I'll be able to make some positive contributions myself.

Cheers

Craig

Comments

• Welcome to the forum :-)

30 miles is a decent commute distance! 3 days a week would be enough for me at that distance.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Welcome Craig. Now pop over to Commuting Chat where there's alcohol, live music and girls to pick up. Commuting General is like the wicker section at an Arts & Craft fair during mid-week.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014

My name is Craig, I'm 39-years-old going on mid teens according to my long-suffering wife and have been commuting by pushbike three times a week
    Craig

You "push your bike" (pushbike) most ride theirs, why do people call bikes / bicycles PUSHbikes these days :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Welcome Craig and don't worry about Jeremy's grumpiness; it's his time-of-the-month.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Hey Craig, welcome to the forum! What bike are you riding? 8)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm finding that 3 times a week is enough, I'd love to do more but my legs aren't up to it at the moment.

The pushbike I'm commuting on is an old Specialized Hardrock, something like this one shittyblue.jpg but with a road biased compact chainset, road bike Shimano front derailleur and rear mech and road biased tyres.

To be honest it's a bit of a shed, in fact if it were a shed it would probably be torn down on health and safety grounds but it goes and stops well and the money I'm saving on petrol will buy me something much more bling...

That's the plan anyway :D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Jeremy get a life you miserable sod. We always used to refer to them a Pushbikes as kids. It recognises the historical origins of the humble bicycle.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    For an old bike its got very shiny spokes. Looks well looked after.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought "something like this one" implied that wasn't a pic of his.

Jeremy you OF, you were probably brought up calling them Pushbikes pre-war, you don't fool us!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    t4tomo wrote:
    Jeremy get a life you miserable sod. We always used to refer to them a Pushbikes as kids. It recognises the historical origins of the humble bicycle.
    I called them BMX, Racer and Chopper as a kid. We didn't all grow up in a historical context!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    kelsen wrote:
    Welcome Craig. Now pop over to Commuting Chat where there's alcohol, live music and girls to pick up. Commuting General is like the wicker section at an Arts & Craft fair during mid-week.

This.

Just mind the tumbleweed on the way outta here...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    You commute 30 miles a day on that thing. :?

A big mug of respect to you sir. Now go get something that will make the 30 miles a little easier. Oh and welcome to the forum. :D
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Welcom to the club mate. That set of wheels does look "shiny! Dont worry about the legs - they will catch up in time. Agree with Tonymufc - best to work on getting an upgrade at some time :)
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Hi folks and thanks again for the words of welcome, just thought I'd post up a couple of pics of my bike as the one I posted earlier in the thread was one I'd found online via Google images.

As you'll see from the photos my own bike has been 'upgraded' though I use the term loosely :D The chainset and rear mech are bits I had bought for a road bike I had about 25 years ago which is no longer in one piece.

The best and probably cheapest upgrade I have so far bought for the bike is the fantastic, classic car horn which I got from a junk shop in Chesterfield, cost me about £2 (I was ripped off) and the amount of grief it has saved me on cycle paths in amazing, people just don't hear bells do they!

2011050-BIKE-01.jpg[/img]
    Looking good after a clean.

2011050-BIKE-03.jpg
    Off my old road bike...

2011050-BIKE-04.jpg
    and another.

2011050-BIKE-05.jpg
    This too off my road bike.

2011050-BIKE-02.jpg
    Me so horny... cost a couple of quid and has saved me untold grief with dog walkers.