Does it ever feel wrong?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
It's only happened to me twice so far, but do you ever get onto your bike and it just feels......wrong?

This morning I felt like I was really close to the road, felt like I was riding a tiny bike for some strange reason, checked my saddle etc. and everything was normal.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Strange phenomenon
FCN: 6

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...yes, wierd isn't it. I have no answer as to why... :? :(
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Had you taken one of the kids' bikes instead of your own?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to put on my seatbelt the other day. Turns out I hadn't done up the chin strap on my helmet.

I also, occasionally, suffer from the 'wrong bike' feeling.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I ride different bikes for commuting and other stuff, and after a weeks commuting on a Brompton, getting on a different bike certainly feels different.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I had a couple of days last week where pedaling felt kind of wierd and disjointed. It passed.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I sometimes get the feeling that the steering is odd......too sharp or too slow....
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Sometimes the bike feels old,slow, and overweight. I always feel like that.....
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I've been un-burdening myself for commuting, I was carrying rubbish just because I had room. I've gone from backpack to panniers to this :-

5733501234_6c1e79133c.jpg
    BottleCarrier by twostage, on Flickr

It holds absolute essentials and nothing else.

The 'hinge' is duct tape (what else) and the plastic washer thing that prevents the bottle collapsing when the lid is screwed on is one of those things that holds the waste pipe in place under your sink.

Anyway, every now and again I think I've forgotten my backpack or the bike is too light.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Asprilla wrote:
    I had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to put on my seatbelt the other day. Turns out I hadn't done up the chin strap on my helmet.

I also, occasionally, suffer from the 'wrong bike' feeling.

Sometimes when i get in my Bongo (yes, car gone, now a proud Capervan owner) as I grip the steering wheel with both hands I get the urge to pull on invisible brake levers.... just as on the bike, when passing an attractive girl I glance up and to my left to catch a glimpse in the non existant rear view mirror.

But with bum on saddle it can never be "wrong"
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Had a 'wrong' moment this morning. My front tyre was making a woh, woh, woh sound. Something was wrong so I slowed down to see if I could see anything wrong and realised when I did that I'd left my keys behind. Went home, got the keys and the tyre stopped making the noise. Must have actually been saying "woah" like when you want to stop a horse.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Glad to hear that others also get the 'wrong' feeling.

Sometimes get the wobbly wheel feeling on the rear. Stop and check and it's perfectly true.

Occasionally find the steering too sharp, but then it sorts itself out.

Tyres feel a little skittish on smooth dry roads, but then give great grip in wet bends.

I think a lot of the feeling depends on how one if feeling off the bike. Stress or anxiety at work / home can affect the feelings on the bike.