Rebound damping

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
What actually is it? And what does it do? Is it the most important factor on forks?

Just trying to see what makes a good fork?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it controls how fast a fork extends.

but it on its own means bugger all.

as on some forks it does little.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    Cool. But it makes a significant difference over a fork that does not have it I take it?
  • nicklouse
    maybe.

but it may still be crap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If not the fork is a pogo stick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    Sound. Think I can see the benefits of it. Just wondering as say there's a low-end suntour at about 30 quid and then there's a RS Tora at about a ton. The majot difference between the two is the rebund damping, (is it not?) So I was working out if this is where the 70 quid difference comes in to play?!
  • cooldad
    Good adjustable rebound damping allows you to tune the fork to rebound slow enough so it doesn't throw you off when it extends (like a pogo stick would) but extends fast enough so it doesn't pack down over a series of bumps and lose all travel.
    It is almost half of what is important along with a decent spring and adequate stiffness.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    cooldad wrote:
    Good adjustable rebound damping allows you to tune the fork to rebound slow enough so it doesn't throw you off when it extends (like a pogo stick would) but extends fast enough so it doesn't pack down over a series of bumps and lose all travel.
    It is almost half of what is important along with a decent spring and adequate stiffness.

Cool, cheers man.
  • nicklouse
    Concorde wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Cool, cheers man.

but just because a maker says it has rebound damping it means nothing. just like if it says it has preload adjust. many do do anything.
  • concorde
    Ah right ok cool. Surely they shouldn't be allowed to do that? False advertising for a start?
  • cooldad
    Which is why I qualified my statement with 'good'
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Nope there will probably be some vague minute difference in settings, but not enough to make any useful difference.
    You get what you pay for.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    Ok, so a RS Tora @ about 100 quid is pointless?!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Concorde wrote:
    Depends entirely on what it's replacing. It's actually one of the better forks in it's price range.
  • nicklouse
    Concorde wrote:
    Depends entirely on what it's replacing. It's actually one of the better forks in it's price range.

and which RS Tora. there is more than one.
  • concorde
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 62250.html

RS Tora XC - replacing Suntour SCT V2 - Gotte be better butt wondering if it was the rebound damping tha tmade it better?
  • cooldad
    Except being JE James, they have no stock.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    Lol yeah I noticed that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All Toras are better than than SR XCM, XCT, XCR. the rebound circuit works very well.
  • concorde
    Coolio. Cheers