Dreaded Pollen

hfidgen
hfidgen Posts: 340
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else regularly get bits of that awful pollen in their eyes and all but crash out due to the sudden blinding wave of tears?

Had one in each eye and one in my throat this evening - I hope I put on a good show for the tourists up the mall - weeping, coughing & hacking by the side of the road.

Anyone know what species the trees are and when the horror will stop?
FCN 4 - BMC CX02

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    hfidgen wrote:
    Does anyone else regularly get bits of that awful pollen in their eyes and all but crash out due to the sudden blinding wave of tears?

Had one in each eye and one in my throat this evening - I hope I put on a good show for the tourists up the mall - weeping, coughing & hacking by the side of the road.

Yep and will be doing the same again tomorrow, along the mall at 8:30 ish

must remember to take my cycling glasses
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The glasses won't save you. Nothing short of an ABC mask will do the job. Those crafty plants have had millions of years to refine the design of their little sex bombs, making them one of the best objects on earth to find a way into every available crevice through random movement. You can't even hide indoors. They'll find a way in. I've learned to accept the suffering after many years of futile attempts to protect myself through physical and pharmacological means.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I feel awful today, I actually couldn't face cycling, so drove. I am so sorry everyone :( Got a stinking headache, runny nose and the beginnings of a sore throat. Not happy.
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Constitution Hill is the worst for me - was coughing all the way from there to Lewisham last night. Must remember not to breathe from Hyde Park Corner to Parliament Hill tonight . . .
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    hfidgen wrote:

At the moment everytime I go out my eyes are streaming, even with glasses on & having taken hayfever meds. this morning, the combination of drizzle, tears & sweat meant my vision was limited at best
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    It's not helping as it is so dry.
    I used to suffer from the grass pollen but it seems to have lessened as i have got older i have no idea why.
    I do know how you all feel though.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I've started using a Respro Techno mask and it has been fantastic. I can now breath through my mouth wheras before I would use my nose only, to limit the amount of pollen I breathed in.
    The only downside is the steaming up of my glasses when I stop at traffic lights.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    artaxerxes wrote:
    I've started using a Respro Techno mask and it has been fantastic. I can now breath through my mouth wheras before I would use my nose only, to limit the amount of pollen I breathed in.
    The only downside is the steaming up of my glasses when I stop at traffic lights.

Yep. Would recommend those with pollen issues give them a try. They're not for everyone, but if you get on with them and don't mind a sweaty face then they keep a lot of crap out of your airways.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition