What tools to have on a ride at all times?

marcel147
marcel147 Posts: 63
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I have read the Top Tips & Tech section. I found the section on tools there too, but it seems to address the tools for home use.

I would like to know what tools one should never leave home without so as not to come unstuck on a ride.

Also, what solutions are you using to carry them, I would guess a specific small bag somewhere would be appropriate. However my Boardman Pro FS has cables & suspension nearly everywhere so not sure how to fit a bag.

Picture uploaded below of my bike, notice the rear light below the seat has become lost. Also note my lock is in a stupid place and it ends up pushing the rear muddy off center.

http://topspotsnookerclub.co.uk/content/img-0491

If anyone has any bright ideas please share them with me :)

sorry, dont know how to insert a picture any other way :(

2009 Boardman Pro FS

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Use a hydration pack/backpack?

And a multitool with the relevant hex keys and a chain breaker.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • patto583
    patto583 Posts: 27
    I take a multitool with a chainbreaker on it, a set of tyre levers and a spare innertube and puncture repair kit. and i keep my lock in a hydration pack or small rucksack, especially since i don't take it with me when i'm off road, i leave it in the car.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You get triangular shaped bags that fit under the top tube.
    But a camebak thing is easier, one bottle would never be enough water for me on a decent ride.
    Otherwise what patto853 said plus a pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    multi tool with breaker
    leatherman
    spare brake pads
    bit of carpet (good for repairing a split tyre)
    cable ties
    spare links and spare power link
    pump
    puncture kit
    spare tube.
    couple of different bolts
    shock pump (sometimes)

first aid kit (roll of elastoplast, bandage, antiseptic wipes, gloves scissors and super glue)
    waterproof
    phone
    money
    power bar
    at night - spare 18650s, spare tail light, high vis sack cover

all goes in the pack - just. ;)
  • marcel147
    diy wrote:
    multi tool with breaker
    leatherman
    spare brake pads
    bit of carpet (good for repairing a split tyre)
    cable ties
    spare links and spare power link
    pump
    puncture kit
    spare tube.
    couple of different bolts
    shock pump (sometimes)

first aid kit (roll of elastoplast, bandage, antiseptic wipes, gloves scissors and super glue)
    waterproof
    phone
    money
    power bar
    at night - spare 18650s, spare tail light, high vis sack cover

all goes in the pack - just. ;)
    :lol: Good grief, will that lot fit in a camelbak or a holdall?, bet your never short of owt in your house diy!!!

Seriously though, thanks for all the help here everybody :D

So I have decided on :-

Multitool with chainbreaker
    Puncture kit
    Spare tube
    Tyre levers
    Pump
    Lock
    Hydration Pack

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    diy wrote:
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc.....
    all goes in the trailer - just. ;)
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    If it is just popping out to the local woods for a play around all I have is:
    A bottle of water
    Keys,Phone etc
    Allen key multitool

If it is anything more than that in my camelbak will be:
    Tube
    Pump
    First aid kit
    Water
    multitool
    small pedal spanner
    punture repair kit
    extra layer depending on weather
    tyre levers

For day trips to trail centres etc. I would take all of the above and
    food
    posible spare tyre depending on the terrain
    plier type multi tool
    small screwdriver for specs
    track pump if travelling by car to ride site
    and anything else nessacary that can fit in the car
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Allen keys, tube, pump - that's all for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    marcel147 wrote:
    Picture uploaded below of my bike, notice the rear light below the seat has become lost. Also note my lock is in a stupid place and it ends up pushing the rear muddy off center.
    Frame looks far too big if that's the saddle set at pedalling height :?
  • marcel147
    marcel147 wrote:
    Frame looks far too big if that's the saddle set at pedalling height :?

Think you might be right

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    marcel147
    Oh bloody hell Top spot snooker. the number of times I have staggered past there....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • marcel147
    nicklouse wrote:
    marcel147
    Oh bloody hell Top spot snooker. the number of times I have staggered past there....
    You did well to get out while you could :)

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • diy
    The one thing I don't carry is tyre levers. Unless you run narrow wire slicks, you don't need them if you do it right.
  • I keep it lean. I have never needed an Allen key, screwdriver for anything that couldn't wait. Chain breaker and link def number 1. Hutchinson tubeless cannister (I run Stan's already and don't want to change it thanks). A whistle and a mobile phone.
  • Anonymous
    diy wrote:
    The one thing I don't carry is tyre levers. Unless you run narrow wire slicks, you don't need them if you do it right.
    Whereas all I carry is a tiny little park multitool, puncture repair kit, pump and tyre levers.
    Not all tyres and rims are created equal, mine need that lever to get the initial pop off the rim.
  • unityjon
    unityjon Posts: 27

couldn't you put the lock around the seatpost rather than beside it ?

When i'm out i rely on my mates to carry everything, is that bad ? LOL :oops: but then i am new to this and need to tool up.
    Dialled alpine mk2, ragley, shimano deore groupset, v8's, Mavice en521, High Rollers - Lovin' it!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    mutlitool with chain breaker
    powerlink
    tube x 2
    crank bros tyre lever thingy
    mini pump
    phone
    fags
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • diy
    If you have a smart phone. there are handy torch apps on both iphone and android that can turn your mobile in to a torch. Given that it takes no physical space its worth having.

As is a map.img which you can get from any of the open source map sites for free.
    diy wrote:
    Whereas all I carry is a tiny little park multitool, puncture repair kit, pump and tyre levers.
    Not all tyres and rims are created equal, mine need that lever to get the initial pop off the rim.

Fair point, but I would seriously think about sticking a tube of antiseptic or wipes in and a strip of plaster in. takes hardly any space really. Ideally you want the superglue too so that if you slice yourself open when miles away from anywhere you can close up the wound and avoid a bad scar or infection.
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    Wrap some gaffer tape around the pump. Takes no room and you can mend your bike or yourself with it.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    A multitool with chain breaker.
    A spare tube.
    A pump.
    Some zip ties.
    A small puncture repair kit.
    A small first aid kit (plasters and some sterilising wipes, very basic).
    Some quick links for chains.
    Small roll of electrical tape.
    And lights cause sometimes you just push a little hard and get back later then planned.

In a hydration pack.

Also always have my phone. Especially when riding alone.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Anonymous
    diy wrote:
    Fair point, but I would seriously think about sticking a tube of antiseptic or wipes in and a strip of plaster in. takes hardly any space really. Ideally you want the superglue too so that if you slice yourself open when miles away from anywhere you can close up the wound and avoid a bad scar or infection.
    I'm no nancy boy though. I've yet to have an injury that stopped me getting home. Including dislocating a knee, and being torn to bits on slate.
    Oh, and when my old man fractured a vertebrae in his neck, we rode most of the old Karrimor trail in Coed y Brenin to get back to the car.

Antiseptic wipes are for cats.
    Anything properly serious, as in "Oh dear, I appear to have stopped moving", and I'm going to need an airlift anyway.
  • diy
    Which reminds me - I also carry medi gloves.

I don't have a problem with blood but don't really want to be touching other peoples.

Last bloke I helped (a roady) was fitting (its quite common with concussion) and all his mates were in shock. He'd broken his nose, jaw, loosened a few teeth and may have cracked his eye socket too. His mates were in shock and no use.

I was quite lucky a doc came along just before the ambulance, but there was a lot of blood and vom which I had to clear, because the injuries initially looked far worse.
  • Anonymous
    diy, the best course of action in that instance would have been to break his neck quickly and put him out of his misery.
    And with your rubber gloves, you wouldn't have left any fingerprints either, BONUS!
  • diy
    But there would have been witnesses, though not sure how useful they would have been. I must admit I wouldn't want to ride with his mates. He'd been down a couple of minutes before we arrived and they hadn't called an ambulance.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    You never ever leave home without a proper multi tool!

topeak alien II
    x2 tubes
    home made first aid kit + power choc bar :)
    most certainly a good pump
    latex gloves - hate greasy hands
    Halfords large puncture kit
    feak swiss multi knife
    I have a collections of zip tires too
    most trusty iPhone 3GS with BikeDoctor,BikeMate,CycleMaps (apps man)

check out the following link on members' views on what is a good multi tool
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12774351&start=20&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    diy wrote:
    But there would have been witnesses, though not sure how useful they would have been. I must admit I wouldn't want to ride with his mates. He'd been down a couple of minutes before we arrived and they hadn't called an ambulance.
    Maybe they'd already had a go at extinguishing them, before you thoughtlessly turned up and saved him then. :lol: