Eating before a ride/race!?

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
Ideallly what's the cut-off point for eating before a race? I appreciate that we're all different and have different metabolisms etc., but I ate approx 40min before I raced last Sunday and to be honest I think my body went to sleep. Because as soon as the starting whistle went my legs refused to work and I felt totally powerless.

I had warmed up, I didn't over-train and was feeling great. So I can only assume it was the eating that messed up my plans.

I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Comments

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    depends what your eating obviously

but you shouldnt eat anything too heavy before riding/racing
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    On Sunday I had a bottle of High 5 Zero about 2 hours before hand, a jam sandwich about 90 minutes before, and a bottle of High 5 in the hour up to the race. Seemed to be reasonably well fuelled, just going like a dog!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Last meal an hour or more before - pasta/porridge or preferably grazing all day on roots/shoots/leaves/nuts etc. Cup of proppa coffee 40mins/1 hour before, banana or peanut butter sandwich at the start, High 5 carb drink during and maybe another banana/malt loaf during stops.

Avoid everything and everybody for an hour afterwards, then get some protein.