worn rear cog on fixie

bmca2010
bmca2010 Posts: 54
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
my bike started to produce an unbelievable annoying creak over the weekend. as usual though it was from the bb so dismantled cleaned and but back in. still noise. just after looking at it again. the noise is coming from the rear cog and the chain. closer inspection and it looks like the cog is pretty wore down id say 5000-6000 mile.

i tried a new cog and the noise is gone. but the question, is it safe to run a new cog and a chain which has been on the bike as long the old cog, can it skip or fall of like it would on worn down cassette? i'll get round to a new chain and chainring, but if the new cog would do me for a while that would be great

thanks

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    New chain as well, would be safest considering the low cost.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    If the sprocket's visibly worn, your chain is probably going to much through your new one too. As Roger says, for the cost of the chain you may as well replace it, but otoh it'll be OK for a wee while :)
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Fixed Wheel bikes' chains don't fall off, or 'de-rail' so wear's not an issue, but they do snap. (keep it tight, loose chains fall off)) You got a front brake?
    Make sure you keep the whole drive train 1/8 or 3/32 as an 1/8 sprocket will destroy a 3/32 chain quickly. (You can run the other way round, but expect some noise)

I'm impressed you've worn a sprocket so quickly, was it a lightweight alloy one?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I generally use 2 chains a year and one fixed sprocket. The chain ring would probably last 3-4 years although I changed after 2 as I wanted a bigger gear.

Get a new chain !
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Get a new chain IMO. The deterioration of your sprocket could be down to a stretched chain. KMC chains are well priced.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Fixed wheel chains will stretch like any other if there is any grinding paste in the links.

My favourite is the Gusset Slink half link. Pretty cheap and half link means great for chain tension.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Buy a chain wear indicator - in fact everyone should own one.

Your question will then be answered.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    exactly the same thing happened to me a while back after about 5,000 miles.

Get a new chain!
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    new chain and sprocket for under £20.
    My sprockets last a lot longer than the chains.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire