Surly Long Haul Trucker, big or small wheels

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I want bad, I'm coming to end of cycle scheme period, so if my previous bike is valued low enough I'll buy it and "hire" this on for a year to compliment my speedy CAAD9.

prod_30879.jpg

But should I go for the 700C wheels or the smaller ones as shown here (which I think look a bit silly)? Surly seem to think the smaller wheels are a better idea as they take more load, so well confused!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How much were you thinking of carrying?!
    Would be surprised if 700Cs couldn't take whatever you'd throw at it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    dhope wrote:

Well, me for a start, I'm 22 stone! And then just my towel weighs like another four.

Seriously, I do go through 700Cs, smashed up a rear Mavic aksium rim recently, it lasted about two months, on a DT Swiss rim now which seems to be holding up. I am doing like 140 miles a week though and sometimes the same at the weekend.

But having me and a full set of panniers for say a LEJOG or JOGLE?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    prj45 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Well, me for a start, I'm 22 stone! And then just my towel weighs like another four.

Seriously, I do go through 700Cs, smashed up a rear Mavic aksium rim recently, it lasted about two months, on a DT Swiss rim now which seems to be holding up. I am doing like 140 miles a week though and sometimes the same at the weekend.

But having me and a full set of panniers for say a LEJOG or JOGLE?

Would it not make sense to get a set of handbuilts with 36 spokes! you'd be hard pushed to break them I'd say.

I've been on the wrong side of 20stone before and have managed with a normal front wheel with a 105hub with mavic open proCd rim with 32 spokes fine. needs a tweek every so often to keep spoke tension even.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    what size are those wheels shown - it just looks wrng like that.

Looks like a small wheeled folders without the folding bit.

reckon it would look even more odd with a 22 stone cyclist on board.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    For commuting, I think you will find the small 24" ? quite agile and fun to ride.

Of course they'll handle direct load better, but you're actually worse off if you hit a pothole, since the angle of impact is smaller and hence bigger chance of bending a rim.

The solution: Wider tyres.

I do think you will find the gear shifter oddly placed, and I would opt for downtube shifters instead - way better.