2008 patriot freeride/dh build, now with totems! ;)

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited October 2011 in Your mountain bikes
So I had my Commencal mini dh for a few weeks and managed to find a crack in it, not too chuffed. Managed to sell it for about half what I bought it for, oh well! So the search began for a new frame. I managed to get my hands on a used (but good condition) 2008 patriot frame in 18". After having a 2002 patriot as my first 'big' bike in 16" and selling it due to it being too small, I had lusted after one of these frames for a while, so I'm really chuffed I finally got one!

Anyway, here's a not so great photo of it.

p4pb6600943.jpg

As you can tell, it's built up as more of a freeride bike now, but I'd like to get a fox DHX 5 air shock for it and some lyriks or something and turn it into like an enduro/alps bike. I have big plans for this frame!

comments welcome!
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    you havent had much luck with cracking commencals have you?! :shock: :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    lawman wrote:
    you havent had much luck with cracking commencals have you?! :shock: :lol:
    moral of the story, don't buy commencals. in fact why would you buy one in the first place :P

it's looking great. will be nice with some upgrades though :)
  • ilovedirt
    Haha, I've had pretty bad luck with them! They do ride really nicely though! I'd probably buy another, but only a new one. Though in fairness, the meta didn't crack, it had a stripped BB, which may well have been my own stupid fault.

Cheers jay, yeah I've got plenty of upgrades planned, I'll just have to wait and see how much money i earn over the summer.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Haha, I've had pretty bad luck with them! They do ride really nicely though! I'd probably buy another, but only a new one. Though in fairness, the meta didn't crack, it had a stripped BB, which may well have been my own stupid fault.

Cheers jay, yeah I've got plenty of upgrades planned, I'll just have to wait and see how much money i earn over the summer.
    ahhah same for me. hopefully i'll be able to work at my lbs as much as possible over summer(after work experiance they told me when they get busy i'll be bale to work there when i'm on school break). there is so much things i want to buy: 661 sub gear, new shorts, 5:10s, lyrik u turns, easton havoc bars and stem, new chain and cassette, new pedals, bike stand, decent set of allen keys and cable cutters and then try to save up for a scott voltage fr frame or a dartmoor wish frame :shock:

and on top of that train fares and replace stuff when it breaks, it's a hard life mountain biking whne all you have is a paper round :P
  • ilovedirt
    So I've upgraded a load of parts now. I scratched the stanchions on the 66, so I got some domain 318's instead, rockshox monarch 3.1 rear shock, won for £23 brand new off ebay (still got the 5th elephant coil, sold the ti spring though, so essentially got the shock for a tenner), charge spoon as i bent the XC seat crashing, some formula mega brakes, 203mm rotors (also dirt cheap from the formula shop), straitline silent guide (reduced to £80 on CRC) and some funn fatboy bars (£15 on sale at CRC). I don't think I paid full price for anything! :lol:

Still to come: SS front wheel to match the rear, crank bros seat clamp, x7 short cage rear mech and x7 shifter, all paid for, just waiting for them to arrive, and that should be pretty much everything i want to do to it except bits like tyres, matchmaker clamps etc

p4pb6927074.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Coil is so the way.

Tempted to coil up my Modraker just for fun at some point lol.
  • ilovedirt
    Hmm, well the coil was a lot plusher, but I'm using the monarch at the moment just because I don't have my hardtail at home at the moment, so i can change air pressure depending on whether I'm riding XC or downhill. I may switch back to coil when I get back to uni. Both shocks cost me so little though that I can afford to play with them a bit.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • looking good. Nice to have the adaptability of the air but the control of the spring if needed, I like it.

Is this the 2012 version btw? :wink:

ooooonly joking!
  • ilovedirt
    Haha, careful! ;)

To be fair, I wish it was, it's just got a couple of features (ISCG mounts and 1.5" head tube) that have really been niggling me about not being there on this. Other than that, i'm pretty happy with it :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    So this is the patriot pretty much finished... for now... Thought I might as well take some photos since I've just given it a good clean ;)
    New x7 short cage rear mech and shifter, mrp g2 mini steel guide and superstar switch evo DH front wheel.
    I am toying with either putting some totems on there though, or getting rid of the frame and fork for a 224 and boxxers... but maybe not.

Took it to an uplift day at moelfre yesterday and the bike performed absolutely flawlessly! Well chuffed.

p4pb7063939.jpg

p4pb7063942.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Shredding at moelfre last weekend ;)

p4pb7081770.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I always wanted a Patriot, lovely looking bike. Good to see it getting a thrashing and not just pooling round somewhere.

Are you gonna Megavalanche it? I think I might try and get some Lyrik's for my Sptfire and take it over to France next year. I reckon they'd both do pretty well.
  • ilovedirt
    Cheers, yeah I'm really enjoying it, always been a fan of oranges myself :)

I'd love to take it down the mega, i reckon it's about set up perfect for it, the only problem is, I can't really afford it, and I don't think i'm quite there yet, either skill-wise or fitness-wise. Maybe in a couple of years!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Apologies for the crap photos, i'll get better ones at some point, but I got some totems for it absolutely dirt cheap, blingtastic!

p4pb7144820.jpg

p4pb7144821.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Looking very nice there Sam. Co-ordinating your new fork graphics with you bed covers is a particularly bold move! :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    Haha, I hadn't noticed that :P
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Looks sweet with the totems... need to update your sig!
  • ilovedirt
    Cheers, only ridden the totems once though, as i crashed and knackered my wrist up a few weeks ago!
    I'll do it when i get a better photo ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Got out for my first downhill ride in a good while and took a couple of pics of the bike while I was out. If you couldn't tell by the last photo... it was MUDDY! Really fun though, felt good to get back on the bouncy bike!

p4pb7303717.jpg

p4pb7303720.jpg

p4pb7303723.jpg

Got my seat up high in that last photo because I had to pedal to the trail and back - in case anyone was wondering, I don't ride DH with it like that!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5