energy drink

liamb93
liamb93 Posts: 48
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
still deciding which energy drink to buy next , i have previously used powerbar,sis,high5,lucozade and rockstar but now i have ran out of powerbar what should i buy ?
i have narrowed it down to accelerade or zip vit
any one who has used these products or has any other suggestions your info would be great

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    myprotein tri carb
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    There is a 3rd option .... ask yourself if you really need to buy any at all???
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Unless you are cycling to lose weight, these additives are a good way of keeping your body fuelled. Why would you not use them.

I use Lucozade and Powerbar simply because I like their taste best.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Neither. Torq energy for me.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I've only tried SIS and High5, but I'm very happy with high 5 4:1

I get 1.6 kg in summer fruits for around £21 and it lasts me about 2 months. It's really palatable and can be used as a recovery drink as well because of the protein content.

I have been cutting down though, on mid to longer rides (less than 50 miles) I have been taking one bottle of high 5 and one of water, where I used to take 2 of high 5.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Pigtail wrote:
    I've only tried SIS and High5, but I'm very happy with high 5 4:1

I get 1.6 kg in summer fruits for around £21 and it lasts me about 2 months. It's really palatable and can be used as a recovery drink as well because of the protein content.

I have been cutting down though, on mid to longer rides (less than 50 miles) I have been taking one bottle of high 5 and one of water, where I used to take 2 of high 5.

Same here, tried several and settled on the High5 4:1
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i prefer SIS of all the ones I have tried.

I recently got the ZipVit tester pack - for £4.95 from PBK - check to see if they have any left - it comes with a selection of power bars, gels, energy chews (yes, really) a sachet of drink and of course a zipvit bottle - it's worth the full asking of £9.95 to be honest and a steal at £4.95

the drink itself tasted ok - a bit bitter at first - and maybe a bit medicinal - you know how the dedicated electrolyte drinks sometimes taste? - it did make me feal a bit stomach-crampy after about 25 miles though so i don't think i will be getting it again.

I have to say though, that other than long rides i don't bother with dedicated energy drinks at all (as mentioned above) - i tend to prefer either just plain old juice or perhaps the High5 electrolyte drinks which I really rate.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    For me the ZipVit stuff is head and shoulders above the rest. Tastes horrible off the bike, but when you are working hard it hits the spot. I can't cope with the flavour of SIS, it always tastes to me as if some deterggent has been left in the bottle. For me the test is whether I drink as much as I should on a bike. That is nearly always the case with Zipvit.
    I've used Allsports 'Winter Training formula' during the winter and I rate it really highly. It's possible to go out in the cold and wet for three or four hours with just this in the bottles and no extra food. It tastes like watered down milkshake and is very moreish!
  • andy777
    andy777 Posts: 45
    I just use maltodextrin which is whats in them anyway. You can get 2.5 kg for about £7.50.
    I also add a bit of electrolyte salt.

Andy
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    andy777 wrote:
    I just use maltodextrin which is whats in them anyway. You can get 2.5 kg for about £7.50.

Andy
    Are you sure? The ingredients list wouldn't suggest that.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Maltodextrin, fructose, electrolyte powder and caffeine powder from MyProtein works for me.
    More problems but still living....
  • gkerr4
    Nickwill wrote:
    andy777 wrote:

Andy
    Are you sure? The ingredients list wouldn't suggest that.

pretty much,

and as has been said above - you could make your own uing ingredients from places like myprotein for a fraction of the retail on branded drinks!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    amaferanga wrote:
    Maltodextrin, fructose, electrolyte powder and caffeine powder from MyProtein works for me.

Have they stopped selling the electrolyte powder?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    +1 for High5 (standard)

Very easy to drink and appeared to work out the cheapest in bulk (on my last order)
    Have used High 5 4:1 for events... which seemed to do the job... but a little more expensive.
    Simon
  • andy777
    Yes I am.

I think you'll find that SiS Go original is 100% Maltodextrin. Some other drinks use A mixture of dextrose/fructose and maltodextrin. High5 4:1 is 4 parts maltodextrin to 1 part dextrose/fructose

yes they do still sell it but in a 500g bag now not the 100g any more

I checked with a mate who's did bio chemistry before I filled myself with all that sugar, I use only water on rides under 1hr 30.

Andy
  • andy777
    The amount I save using my protein.co.uk compared to the amount I was spending a month on SiS products I could finance a 36 month interest free deal on a new Colnago clx!!!!!
    Consider that!! (shame the the other half won't)

Andy
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    High5 4:1 here (citrus)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Jack3d on occasion for an intense training session
    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off ... 1ed3c88408

Otherwise i just stick to SIS and banana's
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    amaferanga wrote:

Never looked at MyProtein before now - so you just order all the bits and mix them up yourself - to a recipe or whatever you fancy ?

Some of the energy drinks are getting a bit pricey nowadays - so this does look interesting ?

Ta.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025

maxim
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • gkerr4
    cougie wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Never looked at MyProtein before now - so you just order all the bits and mix them up yourself - to a recipe or whatever you fancy ?

Some of the energy drinks are getting a bit pricey nowadays - so this does look interesting ?

Ta.

a useful site that - there are a few similar - bulkpowders being one, but myprotein has decent service - i use them for protein powder.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    NUUN

They dissolve easily with no residue in your bottle

Taste great

Give you energy
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    NUUN

Give you energy

Nuun contains no energy (well it contains "less than 8 calories" from the polyethylene glycol I believe, which I've no idea what it's in there for, it's not intended as energy)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    NUUN

They dissolve easily with no residue in your bottle

Taste great

Give you energy

LOL, nuun tablets are great for hot sweaty rides but energy is the last thing they give you! From their website:

- Zero sugar
    - Under 8 calories