DIY mudguard flap saved £10

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Looking online for mudguard flaps, floored by the prices- £7 to £17, so decided to make my own. I was considering MTB tyre but don't have any at hand, but remembered kept off cuts from our garage so 15 minutes later..

Put the harder wearing pebble surfaced side on the tyre side.

Got enough spare to do about 100 mudflaps, plus spare standard (thinner) felt. Maybe set up a business? £10 each :D

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/flap1.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/i/flap2j.jpg
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Think I'll stick with Crud Catchers, sorry.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Erm, have to agree, think I would rather have spent a tenner.

Looks pretty awful to me.

But each to their own I guess.

:D
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    why isn't the mudguard longer in the first place huh? :roll:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Well done. You appear to have made your bike must less attractive to thieves or anyone else for that matter
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just think of the saving when the flap gets caught between the tyre and mudguard :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I also have to agree, looks terrible, I would hate to have spent over a K on my bike and attach a bit of an old roof
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I went for a harder material (cut-down plastic folder) for mine. It worked very well in winter; keeping spray off the drivetrain and, more importantly, my shoes. You see some horrible looking (but probably quite functional) versions on fancy commuting bikes during the Swedish winters.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry but that looks shite, at least reverse the bolts (and get the right length) to make it look at least a little less shite!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I wish I'd taken photos, but it was only a winter fix:
    Took and old Crud Guard without any fixings and bolted it to where a rear brake caliper normally fits (seat stay bridge caliper hole). The bolt was M5 so it screwed in nicley to the caliper retaining, recessed nut. A couple of locking nylock nuts and a few penny washers.
    Applied judicous force (in a vice, not the frame) to bend bolt so mudguard cleared rear wheel, but sat close. (I called it the new 'Bent-Bolt(tm)' technology, but never caught on)
    Basically the CG just hovered, seemingly unattached to the bike as the Meanie-construed fixing was so neat.
    Last all off 4 months, which was about how long I rode the fixed during winter (the snow made me go mtb). Fail was caused by pulling bike in/out of shed, locking bike at pub/shops against other bikes and a few minor crashes.
    This year I'll take photos, and you will want one!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    another no i'm afraid, why so long and faffy? the spray is being thrown back and out at that point, why not leave it to it, a small firm plastic lip on the end of the guard or a slightly longer guard would look far less heath robinson and be as effective
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Listen guys.
    Just come down off the fence and say what you think will ya!
    Graham. :D
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    I wonder where this idea came from? :roll:

what I had in mind was a single bolt and a sort of triangle shape when i explained it initially but everyone to their own, my uncle would say dose'nt matter what it looks like as long as it works. Me on the other hand unfortunetly a perfectionist!