Rear freewheel hub shimano 475

Daveandhiscube
Daveandhiscube Posts: 13
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi my bike is a year old cube acid, long story short chain snapped, replaced with new, worn out cassette so replaced that as well all works great. But I'm getting heavy clicking when chain under strain sounds like it's coming from the rear hub?

Any suggestions welcome I know the hub is bottom end but I serviced it after the clicking started and all seems ok in there? Could it be the freewheel??

Thanks
Dave

Ps the clicking was there before the chain snapped.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    worn cassette and new chain causing a miss-match and the click?

the body is gripping and the bike works?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The clicking started before the chain snapped the cassette and chain were original parts, now have new chain and cassette all shimano. When I took cassette off and tried to "wiggle" the freehub I replicated the noise.

The bike rides fine and gear changes are smooth?

Thanks for your response
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it could be on the way out. maybe try dropping some lube into it. but as that need the body of really you may as well replace it.

a new hub is often cheaper as you get the bearings as well and swap the whole lot over.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok thanks for your help think I'll go for new hub.

Thanks again