Facing a new Ti bottom bracket?

antikythera
antikythera Posts: 326
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a new Ti 456 (Van Nicholas build), which I want to build up.

What's the collective opinion? Does the bottom bracket need to be faced (and chased)? Or is the build quality sufficient? Do the properties of Ti make this necessary or too difficult?

I'm looking to put an external bearing bottom bracket on, would this have any bearing :roll: on it?

Ta for any input

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it needs checking at least and if not right it needs doing.

not hard to do. Ti is tough not hard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • antikythera
    Thanks, I suspected as much.
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ti is tough not hard.

So, does this mean the same tools will work? will a LBS think this is an issue? From memory Ti is very unforgiving on the tools used to work it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the same tool.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Yes, it needs doing if you're having an external BB. I know this from experience!

a serious case of small cogs
  • antikythera
    will a LBS think this is an issue? From memory Ti is very unforgiving on the tools used to work it.

As I though.... every LBS I've contacted has said no. They wont risk their tools on a Ti frame.
  • antikythera
    Answering my own question here....

After some investigation, the general consensus from the bike shops and Ti retailers is that a Ti BB are most likely not going to require facing - but there are no guarantees, so you should always get it checked anyway. Having said that none (of the 12 or so) shops I contacted none were prepared to face one themselves because of concerns for the facing tool. Specifically (in my case) On-one would be prepared to face the frame, but doubted it would need it.

So the lesson I'd learnt is to ask the retailer/store that you buy your Ti frame to check/face the BB before shipping (as On-one would have done)

Thank you... that is all