Queen in Ireland - Bombscares

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Rumours here in the city is that Tower 42 is being evacuated because of a bomb-scare.

Is it really worth the effort/stress for the queen to go to Ireland?

I've heard some people (John Major) suggest that it's a big step in Anglo-Irish relations - but is it really?

I'm not sure I'm inclinded to agree, especially when she's making her way during a time where the PM is explicity on one side of the NI fence.

Edit: Tower 42 is now all over twitter.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a bad person.
    Whenever someone says 'bombscare' I'm reminded of this song by 2 Bad Mice.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    there was a thing on Radio 2 about this before saying that "should the queen apologize, for all the wrong doings that Britain has done over the years"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm a bad person.

"Hear the house music heavy, heavy pounding" :)

Great track - takes me back a few years!!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Thing is if they do get a bomb under HM's roller and it does the job, who's most likely to be fingered for it? Charlie Boy, that's who. :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    I've heard some people (John Major) suggest that it's a big step in Anglo-Irish relations - but is it really?

Yes
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm a bad person.

"Hear the house music heavy, heavy pounding" :)

Great track - takes me back a few years!!!

Ah, you're thinking of Hold It Down, I linked to Bombscare (in case you didn't follow the link). I do love Hold It Down, memories of Lazerdrome, World Dance and Roller Express.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    I spent two hours doing laps of regents park today. If you don't know, that';s where the American ambassador has his/her residence.

Normally there's 2 armed guards at the gates and that's all you can see.

Today I saw (just around the perimeter road of the park): 4 armed guards, 2 PSCOs, 3 unmarked parked vechicles each with a uniformed officer inside, one blacked out parked car with a driver sat at the wheel and a rough looking man in a dark suit puffing a fag next to it - with an ear com [MI5?], 1 cycling cop (pathetically unfit as well lol), 20 men in suits outside of the ambassadorial residence main exit gate with radios and maps......

That is just what I picked up on that area, how many of the 'tourists' are internal security carrying guns in their handbags etc? The police are crawling all over central London at the moment, would hate to think how many are waiting in side roads with mp5s etc.

Felt a bit jittery at one point when a blacked out car nearly ran me over, followed by a 4 x 4 veering left/right trying to get around the car (think a spy film car chase and you got how they were driving - definitely wasnt someone late for the office).

I don't think I'm being paranoid, there is some serious shit going down right now.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    ^

That would be due to Obama coming to London, not the Queen going to Ireland
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!