Boris Bike Incidents

Sanderville
Sanderville Posts: 52
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone here bother to report Boris Bike incidents to anyone?

On Friday night I was ploughing along Southwark Bridge Road towards London Bridge at about 20-22mph when I spotted a middle-aged woman wobbling along the pavement near the Boris Bike stand outside the Blue Fin building. She was obviously going to pull into the road so I moved right out into the middle of the road since there was no traffic about. Instead of hopping off the pavement and following the direction of traffic she did a U-turn without looking. She had a good ten feet in which to stop after seeing me and shouting "Whoah!" but she just kept pedalling and rode straight into my back wheel.

I don't know how I stayed upright but I did, pulled over to check my bike was OK, looked round and she'd disappeared. My back wheel is bent (serious since I have a hub gear) and my precious mudguard frame is broken.

I know that TFL/Serco aren't responsible for the actions of the stupid, fat c-words who rent their bikes but is anyone keeping score of the crashes they cause?

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    a Boris had been involved in an accident at Trafalgar Sq this morning.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If she had just lef tthe stand report it to TFL with date, time, location and description of women. There should be CCTV coverage of the docking station maybe able to identify women as she rented the bike, might even be coverage of the incident. Also report as RTA with met police so they can check CCTV.

Boris Bikes has third party insurance as part of hire, so there is something to claim against. If you have CTC, BC, or LCC memebership use thier legal cover.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sanderville
    Sanderville Posts: 52
    Thanks, Sketchley. Didn't know they have insurance.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Saw a chap on a Boris Bike plough into someone waiting at the lights up from Buckingham Palace this morning.

I don't think his brakes were working properly... :shock:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sorry to hear about this. The number of nodders and BB riders changing line whilst cycling without the slightest glance is amazing! I always find the south end of Blackfriars Bridge heading north is "interesting" with a lot of BB riders and nodders coming off the cycle lane from the left to join the wide one on the bridge itself without even a glance, there's kind of a point bike and go attitude/ignore what might be coming from behind....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Thanks, Sketchley. Didn't know they have insurance.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15026.aspx
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    All Boris bikes have a unique number on the chainstay, so if you wanted to report an incident get the number, quote the time of the collision and then report it to TFL as the rider would be traceable.