Cycling in non-London Bus Lanes

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Are we allowed in all bus lanes? or only when specifically signed or what is the deal.

I had a bus driver driving about 6 inches from my back wheel yesterday as I trudled up a bus lane that bypasses queuing cars at a set of lights in Watford so buses get "priority" out of the station. He then ranted at me that I shouldn't be in the bus lane. I told him I was allowed in and in anycase he shouldn't drive like a cock (several times to be honest).

I wasn't holding him up as the lights beyond the bus lane were red anyway.

I know in London it generally bus taxi cycle and now motorcycles allowed in bus lanes, but what is teh default if tehre is no specific signage or does it vary from town / authority to town?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    t4tomo wrote:
    Are we allowed in all bus lanes? or only when specifically signed or what is the deal.

I know in London it generally bus taxi cycle and now motorcycles allowed in bus lanes, but what is teh default if tehre is no specific signage or does it vary from town / authority to town?
    Should be a bike symbol on the bus lane signs to indicate you can use it. That's what it says in the highway code and matches my experience in Bath/Bristol.

Mike
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Most you can, some you can't. Look at signs.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    t4tomo wrote:

If it's not signposted to say you can use it then you can't. London is no different to anywhere else in this respect.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2011
    Really?

I routinely use a non marked bus lane here that starts opposite a right hand turn. I wonder how many bus and car drivers I'd annoy (and risk being hit by) and crashes I'd cause if I didn't use it. Here
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Normally yes - problem is you have to share it with motorbikes, taxis etc - in fact the only things that don't seem to be allowed here are cars and HGVs
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Surely we're allowed to use any bus lane? If not it could be extremely dangerous, I mean if you're a fairly slow cyclist in fairly free moving traffic not in the cycle lane you could effectively end up being passed on both right right by a car and on the left by a bus. Highly dangerous, one little waver and you could go under the wheels of either. Wasn't there a notoriously dangerous cycle lane across Blackfriars Bridge which was subsequently altered which meant that cyclists were forced into a lane between buses and cars heading over the bridge?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The position appears to be unclear to say the least :?:

Many differing opinions.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited May 2011
    t4tomo wrote:
    The position appears to be unclear to say the least :?:

Many differing opinions.

Most bus lanes can be used by cyclists (but not all) - if cyclists can use a bus lane it is indicated by a sign with a helpful picture of a bicycle. The signs will someitmes include times of operation too.

There are regs about the positioning and content of the signs, however, sometimes councils mess these rules up.
  • asprilla
    Surely we're allowed to use any bus lane?

Nope, only if signed. Rule 65.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069837
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    *Buys white spray paint*

*adjusts signage*
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:

I've never noticed signs specifically saying that cycles are allowed in bus lanes! It would be pretty dangerous for bikes NOT to be in bus lanes for reason I highlighted above, you could end up sandwiched between 2 sets of faster moving traffic which seems hugely dangerous....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:

I've never noticed signs specifically saying that cycles are allowed in bus lanes! It would be pretty dangerous for bikes NOT to be in bus lanes for reason I highlighted above, you could end up sandwiched between 2 sets of faster moving traffic which seems hugely dangerous....

You've never seen this

bus-lane.png
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

As Sketchley has pointed out, you need to check your observation. All bus lanes have those signs (or should anyway and I don't think I've every seen one without). They are particularly handy for advising you whether you should expect Addison Lee death wagons up your backside, or Addison Lee courier bikes passing within an inch of your right shoulder.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

As Sketchley has pointed out, you need to check your observation. All bus lanes have those signs (or should anyway and I don't think I've every seen one without). They are particularly handy for advising you whether you should expect Addison Lee death wagons up your backside, or Addison Lee courier bikes passing within an inch of your right shoulder.

You are assuming the other road users know the rules and read the signs. Like the bit of bus lane at the end of Kennington Road that doesn't allow motorcycles......
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You are assuming the other road users know the rules and read the signs. Like the bit of bus lane at the end of Kennington Road that doesn't allow motorcycles......

No worries, I always expect Addison Lee vehicles to try and kill me regardless of what the signs say.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 11
    Normally yes - problem is you have to share it with motorbikes, taxis etc - in fact the only things that don't seem to be allowed here are cars and HGVs

That's in London, elsewhere motorbikes are not allowed in bus lanes but taxis are.
  • asprilla
    crumpetman wrote:

That's in London, elsewhere motorbikes are not allowed in bus lanes but taxis are.

Again, and I'll keep saying it, only if signposted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3