noobie, i know what i want but cant find it !!!

unityjon
unityjon Posts: 27
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

First post 'n all that, i started riding MTB a few months ago and really am getting into it but the trouble is i have an old saracen Xile hardtail from 2001(ish) and i'm begining to think the bike is holding me back, i've made some upgrades as i love the geometry and it really suits my riding style but to upgrade further would be Forks, Wheels and possibly frame and i cant help thinking a new bike would be cheaper so i did some hunting about and found a new bike that 'looks' like it will fit the bill but i want to sit on it/ride it before buying i've seen it in three 'online' shops only and i have emailed the manufacturer direct about stockist but got a generic auto response which didnt help at all :roll:

The bike i'm interested in is a Kona Stuff 2011 like the one shown here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/stuff-2011-jump-bike-ec026546

but searching for one in stock in Essex is proving impossible so can anyone out there recommend a similar sort of bike i could look at in place of the 'stuff' or does anyone know a way of getting a bike shop to get one in on the off chance i may like it !!!
Dialled alpine mk2, ragley, shimano deore groupset, v8's, Mavice en521, High Rollers - Lovin' it!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you asked them to get one in?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SurferEv
    SurferEv Posts: 78
    I presume you've spoken to the EvansCycles store at Lakeside?

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores/lakeside
  • unityjon
    When ever i have spoken to Evans (lakeside, waterloo bridge, Covent Garden and Fenchurch st) they just say we dont have one in stock, i ask when they'll be getting one and explain why and they say you'll have to keep checking back, i've done this at all the Evans i can get to through a normal working week for 2 months now with no joy, the Evans shops in the City only have token gesture jump/xc bikes as i guess they sell more fixies and road stuff in the city, Lakeside had an impressive line up of £2000+ bikes but just not what i was after and again no real intention of getting one in for me to try and probably buy.

If i order one online how hard is it to send it back and say sorry its crap, or something more polite, and get a refund ? Buying a bike online seems alien to me and could be a waste of time, which is ironic as i've wasted time trying to find the damn thing anyway ! LOFL :oops:
    Dialled alpine mk2, ragley, shimano deore groupset, v8's, Mavice en521, High Rollers - Lovin' it!
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    have you tried the Gatwick Warehouse?
    Phone:
    +44(0)1293 574 999

If Evans have any at all they'll have one there, if not in the showroom then in the warehouse...

hope that helps :)
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ask a branch to get on in as you want to buy it. Then try it and if you don't, no problem. Just don't pay for it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • unityjon
    Chris McG wrote:
    have you tried the Gatwick Warehouse?
    Phone:
    +44(0)1293 574 999

If Evans have any at all they'll have one there, if not in the showroom then in the warehouse...

hope that helps :)

Sweet i'll try that for starters and make the trip out one weekend if they have one.

Many thanks
  • SurferEv
    SurferEv Posts: 78
    If no luck with the other advice above and you wan tot investigate the other route of buying online, I'd read up in 'Distance Selling' online as there are loads of rights you have as a consumer buying 'unseen'...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/leg ... gulations/

But also be aware of the various conditions which might be wrapped around those rights... Things like in original unopened condition might pop up or stuff like that..

Cheers,
    Ev
  • unityjon
    SurferEv wrote:
    If no luck with the other advice above and you wan tot investigate the other route of buying online, I'd read up in 'Distance Selling' online as there are loads of rights you have as a consumer buying 'unseen'...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/leg ... gulations/

But also be aware of the various conditions which might be wrapped around those rights... Things like in original unopened condition might pop up or stuff like that..

Cheers,
    Ev

a very good point, especially if it comes un-assembled and i have build it up to even sit on it !
  • unityjon
    Bit concerned that whilst looking at the Evans website it says that the Kona STUFF in size M is discontinued !! why its a 2011 bike ???

trouble is, that makes me want one even more unless it was discontinued because they keep breaking ?? :twisted:
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    That just means they've sold all their stock & aren't getting any more.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • unityjon
    Phew... thought it meant that Kona had stopped making it !

Just phoned waterloo road they dont have any so i asked them to do a stock check and Guildford and Crawley have one each or the warehouse, he said he can get one in but i'd have to pay a £50 deposit which would be refundable if it wasn't the right size ? :?