Handlebar judder?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I just got into work and when parking up the bike I noticed that when I steered through the centre line left to right, I could feel a judder through the handle bars?

I've got a small tool set here so what can I check at lunch? Everything appears nice and tight as I put a cut-down flat-bar in a few months ago.

Cheers all,
Craig
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check for play in the headset.

check for rubbing cable. as you will have changed the routing with the cut down bars.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    SIS headset - likely the bearings are too tight, or most likely your headset bearings need replacing - when was the last time you serviced it ?

I'd say new bearings time
  • CRAIGO5000
    The headset hasn't been serviced. I've only had the bike since Feb (brand new from Evans) and it's only done around 900 miles on the road.

Surely the bearings aren't goosed already!?

I'll check cables but how can I check for play in the headset?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    apply front brake and rock the bike back and forward with hand over each half of the headset and feel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My guess would be that the hub's a little loose. Grab the rim and wobble it from side-to-side. If there's any play (not just flexing) you can try tightening the quick release or getting a code spanner and tightening it up a bit.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Could be play in the headset.

Hold the front brake on only, and rock the bike back and forwards gently. It shouldn't move. If you find it does move a little then you need to tighten up the headset.

To do this, loosen all the bolts on the stem (the part clampec on to the headset) then tighten the bolt on top of the headset, then tighten back up the stem.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Could be play in the headset.

Hold the front brake on only, and rock the bike back and forwards gently. It shouldn't move. If you find it does move a little then you need to tighten up the headset.

To do this, loosen all the bolts on the stem (the part clampec on to the headset) then tighten the bolt on top of the headset, then tighten back up the stem.

Correct, but don't over-tighten the screw on the top or you will pull out the star nut. Simply nip this screw up. Once everything is sweet, tighten the other two screws as it is them that hold it together.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Cheers for that guys, Ill let you know how I get on after lunch.
  • CRAIGO5000
    It's fixed now. I think I had the top cap too tight.

I released the stem bolts and then loosened off the top cap. I gave the front end a light drop on the front wheel and then tightened up the top cap lightly so that there was no play but also allowed free movement before locking up the stem bolts.

Everything is nice and solid again with no locking when the steering is centralized. Hopefully I've not shagged the bearings by running them too tight! :oops: