summer bike / n+1

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
now the sun's out is the protocol to take your mudguards and rack off and swap to some nice light tyres (which would be the sensible thing to do) or is it to take advantage of the imminent C2W scheme and buy something made of carbon as a 'summer bike'?

Please guide me.

Comments

• N+1 is always appropriate. :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My mudguard decided to spontaneously dismount the other week. It rained the next day.

Anyway, yeah, what UE said.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    to be fair though UE - you've said yourself you use your steel bike much more than your BeOne even when the sun's out.

I sold the idea of getting the Fratello to the missus as being 'the only bike I'll ever need - we can finally get rid of all my bikes that clog up the dining room'... BUT, I would like one.
  • Not so, Clarkey. I do use the Genesis, mudguards and all for my commute almost all of the time, but I live in Scotland, so the chance of unexpected precipitation is quite high. When I'm on longer rides, it's always the BeOne.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm getting my winter roadie into summer commuter / crit bike mode - mudguards off, Conti GP4000 tyres on, new ultra-torque chainset fitted, just need to fit some spare carbon forks I have, maybe some narrower bars, new bar tape, possibly a newer Flite saddle from the parts bin, it should then be a bona fide speed machine for the first time in a couple of years!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    what sun?

its been wetter than an otters pocket around here for the past week!!
    Keeping it classy since '83