Cycle Super Highway - motorbikes

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I was asked by a motorbike-ist whether he was allowed to use the blue path this morning. What is the right answer!?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Legally if they are separated from the other lanes by a broken line then he can use them and if it's a solid line then he can't.

However, in all situations, the correct answer is no.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If there are cyclists in it then steer clear please mate, if you're not inconveniencing anyone then fill your boots.
    Can't we all just get along? :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    As far as I understand it, if a cycle lane is bordered by a dashed white line it is only advisory and in theory motorbikes are allowed in (and cars for that matter). If it's a solid line then they are not. Same goes for cycle superhighways which are essentially simply blue cycle lanes when you boil it down. There's no specific legal definition of a CS. Equally some CSs are in bus lanes which motorbikes (and buses) are generally allowed to use....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Ok, thanks all for clearing that up.
  • asprilla
    Equally some CSs are in bus lanes which motorbikes (and buses) are generally allowed to use....

Only if specifically signposted to allow access. The default is that motorcycles can't use bus lanes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Asprilla wrote:
    Legally if they are separated from the other lanes by a broken line then he can use them and if it's a solid line then he can't.

While it's not a legal offense they certainly shouldn't be using them unless unavoidable. Motorists/motorcycles should not cross or straddle the lane unless it is safe to do so and not enter unless it is clear of cyclists.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113aq.gif
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:
    Equally some CSs are in bus lanes which motorbikes (and buses) are generally allowed to use....

Only if specifically signposted to allow access. The default is that motorcycles can't use bus lanes.

Really? I thoughthat by default they were allowed in unless signposted to say they weren't...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Asprilla wrote:

Really? I thoughthat by default they were allowed in unless signposted to say they weren't...
    Other way round, by default they are not allowed to use them unless signposted to say they can. In most cases they can in central London but as you get further out it is more and mroe likely they can't.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Usually seems that way, doesn't it?
    Asprilla wrote:

While it's not a legal offense they certainly shouldn't be using them unless unavoidable. Motorists/motorcycles should not cross or straddle the lane unless it is safe to do so and not enter unless it is clear of cyclists.

I wonder what the legal definition of 'clear of cyclists' is; the whole lane, the lane that is visible to the driver (both ahead and behind), the area immediately next to the vehicle, 10m ahead and 10m behind?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3