what headset for ribble Ribble 7005 (Horizontal) Road Frame?

buy_my_cookies
buy_my_cookies Posts: 114
edited May 2011 in The workshop
hi all,

I am thinking about replacing my frame with the ribble road frame. I am confused about what headset i will need, the website says Use 1 1/8" ITS (Hidden) Headset campag standard 45/45.

I have never used a hidden headset befor, so have a few questions about them.

what is ITS?
what does the 45/45 mean?
whats the difference between campag standard and a Shimano one (all other parts on bike are Shimano)?
will any 1 1/8 fork work or are they different for hidden headsets?

On another note anyone know of a frame of the same price but better?

many tahnks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whats the difference between campag standard and a Shimano one (all other parts on bike are Shimano)?

there is no Shimano version.

have a read
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

it will explain the differences.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for that link,

from reading this the headset has no cups inside the headtube (the headtube itself is the cups)
    The 45/45 is the angle of the bearing seat.

I can use any 1 1/8 fork (as long as the steerer is long enough).

and as for the difference between different types theres loads of different types and i just have to get the right one (which after reading that link I think i need Campagnolo® Hiddenset (SHIS IS42)

Still have no idea what ITS means but i guess as long as I buy one that says its 45/45 Campagnolo Hiddenset compatible I should be ok.

Is there a headset i can buy that has cups that fit in the headtube so that i am not wearing my frame?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope your frame is designed for an Integrated headset so that is what you have to use.

But as an integrated headset is just two bearings Pop them out and read the part code and order. easy to fit and cheap to replace.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    You don't need a campag headset, just one that uses the campag IS standard - as opposed to the cane creek standard. Ritchey, FSA and cane creek all make good headsets that will fit.

Regarding the frame, you'd be hard pushed to get anything cheaper new but could look for something secondhand