Rucksack buying advice

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Guys,

Could anyone recommend a good rucksack for around £30?

Nothing too big. About ten litres should do, and would like good back ventilation.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
FJ[/img]
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Try the Deuter Race
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-10-litre-rucksack/

And let me know if it's any good, I'm thinking of getting one too ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Alpkit Gourdon. It's 20l but can be compressed and is completely and utterly waterproof. I love mine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Crumpler messenger bag, superior in everyway, particulalry the not making your back sweaty bit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Deuter race for me too. Fits everything I need and is still spotty dog after two years; bought it second hand too. Pretty comfortable, and whilst I do sometimes get a sweaty back, it's certainly better than any other rucksack I've ever used.

Mine did get re-waterproofed earlier in the year with some Nikwax, and I haven't had to use the rain cover since. Highly recommended.
  • FoldingJoe
    Asprilla wrote:
    Alpkit Gourdon. It's 20l but can be compressed and is completely and utterly waterproof. I love mine.

Asprilla, what is the ventilation like on the Alpkit?

Cheers,
    FJ

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Cheers,
    FJ

It's just a flat back, but I don't find that I get very warm. It's quite narrow on your back and so there isn't much in the way of contact area.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    I ve just got a camelback consiglere, would be about 10l without the bladder and its always good to have the hydration option. Good venting channels on the back pads too. Got it for £30 from ebay.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Asprilla wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Cheers,
    FJ

It's just a flat back, but I don't find that I get very warm. It's quite narrow on your back and so there isn't much in the way of contact area.

The alpkit is good, and good value, but I do find I get quite sweaty underneath it. I tend to put in a fair bit of effort, so if you're a leisurely commuter it might be fine. Incidentally, I've tested the waterproofness in a jungle rainstorm, and it really is totally waterproof.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    OMM Classic Marathon 25L. Outstanding bit of kit.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited May 2011
    i use a Berghaus Airflow, the back of it is shaped so you don't* get sweaty, an d it has a pouch for you to fit a camelbak bladder, for when it gets a bit warmer

these are the bigger volume ones but you get the idea

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/pa ... 13284.html

*i still get sweaty
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    Bought a little 10L Deuter Race at lunch today, will report back. Its purpose was mainly for running
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    dhope wrote:
    Bought a little 10L Deuter Race at lunch today, will report back. Its purpose was mainly for running

I have one of these, good bit of kit. Don't use it on the bike (pannier-man) but have used it now and then for running and lightweight hiking and general trips etc. Good stuff.
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

I have one of these, good bit of kit. Don't use it on the bike (pannier-man) but have used it now and then for running and lightweight hiking and general trips etc. Good stuff.

Cool. I've got a 16L Carradice bag for commuting, this'll be for the odd time I need to bring more stuff in, or if I'm cycling in then running home. Sounds like a good combination :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • If you only need 10l capacity then I'd recommend a waist bag / lumbar pack / fanny pack / bum bag (call it what you will). I have something like this, which is fine for a day out, and a range of different size bags / panniers to fit on a rack if I need to carry something bigger or heavier.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • essex-commuter
    If you only need 10l capacity then I'd recommend a waist bag / lumbar pack / fanny pack / bum bag (call it what you will). .

As a group I think we should agree on fanny pack. It brightens my day every time I see it called that!
  • FoldingJoe
    I tried one (Deuter Race 10) today at Evans cycles, but wasn't sure.

I'm a big lad so it looks like I'm carrying a purse on my back!!! :)

Need something bigger I think.

Liked the look of this one, and I have an Osprey Elroy at the moment, which is great.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/osprey/escapist-18-20-l-bike-pack-ec026645?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Bit above my price range though.

• essex-commuter
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Need something bigger I think.

Here you go...

tumblr_lazzcbQrKI1qd5084o1_500.jpg
  • If you only need 10l capacity then I'd recommend a waist bag / lumbar pack / fanny pack / bum bag (call it what you will). .

As a group I think we should agree on fanny pack. It brightens my day every time I see it called that!

Yeah fanny pack does appeal to the 7-year old in me. Friends delight in refering to my really big bum bag (suggesting I have a very large backside, rather than a large capacity fanny pack).
  • If you only need 10l capacity then I'd recommend a waist bag / lumbar pack / fanny pack / bum bag (call it what you will). .

Yeah fanny pack does appeal to the 7-year old in me. Friends delight in refering to my really big bum bag (suggesting I have a very large backside, rather than a large capacity fanny pack).

A wizard's sleeve pack, if you will.

• A wizard's sleeve pack, if you will.

I always wondered what Paul Daniels saw in Debbie McGee (and vice versa). I suppose it would give him somewhere to stick his wand?