Have I been sold a bad bike

AlasR
AlasR Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Hi,

Probably newb questions so sorry in advance, but would like some opinion before I take this to LBS where I bought bike.
I bought a tricross 2010 in March for commuting and general use, I've put around 200 miles on it so far. I was cleaning it at the weekend and noticed a fair amount of wear(paint completely stripped and frame grooved) on the frame just above the wheel mount, possibly from the chain, is this usual?
I also noticed that the smallest cog on the chainset some of the teeth look like they're shorter than the others, and not in a uniformed pattern. As I've hardly used the cog this can't be wear, is this usual?
To add insult to injury started my commute this morning and five minutes in noticed my pedal was moving in a strange way, it had come away from the crank arm and stripped the thread off the crank. :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cog teeth are not uniform in shape.

pics of the paint issue would be good.

lose pedals normally are felt when pedaling and if you have ridden with lose pedals it can get expensive depending on how much damage has been done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Hmm, Specialized paint is normally quite good, is the paint 'bubbling', where the alu underneath is corroding? Normally from infrequent washing where 'over-lubing' the chain allows lube-spatter to hold water against the frame. Note to self: Wash bikes tonight.

Loose pedal is bad, try re-fitting it from the wrong side to clean up threads before greasing and fitting it correctly (and tight). Unfortunately, the crank arm will be alloy and the pedal axle is hardened steel: guess which comes off worst in this situation?

The 'short' tooth is to help shifting between cogs
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • AlasR
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, here is a pic of the back frame

photostream

Yeah you're bang on about the chainset, should have checked replacement picture.

Put new pedals on it when I cleaned it I was sure they had been very well tightened, but I forgot to check them before I left this morning so my own stupid fault.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    This looks to me as if the derailer is not adjusted correctly, the chain has come off the cassette a few times, or there is a bit of frame misalignment.

This can only happen (I think), when the chain is on the smallest cog and so nearest the frame, or has come off the cassette completely. Try adjusting the high gear stop screw so the chain is not rubbing.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • AlasR
    I've been quite careful about cleaning the bike and given how new it is, is corrossion a possiblility?

The bike was in for it's six week service a couple of weeks ago, I've had it on a stand and couldn't see any evidence of rubbing when it was on the smallest cog. The alignment of the derailleur seems to be correct as well, and I've only had the chain come off on me once and that was off the chainset rather than the cassette.

I was wondering if this is something I can go back to the LBS with as a warranty issue or if I'm pretty much on my own?

.....how easy is it to replace the crankset? Is this something I can attempt on my own? :oops:
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    take it back to the shop,
    its a new bike and if you are not happy, take it back and tell them to correct the faults
    it sounds to me that you are inexperienced when it comes to bike maintenance, if you start making adjustments you will probably make the situation worse or break something.
    if this happens then the shop can refuse to correct any current faults
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited May 2011
    I think that wear could happen if you put the wheel back without it being properly located in the dropouts on one side (easily done, though you would expect brake rub as well), this could cause the chain to colide as you shift gear, a few contacts would do that damage. If its not that then it is the gear adjustment (you say thats okay) mech alignment/mech hanger (ditto, if it looks straight), or frame alignment. I really don't think its corrosion (and I don't think its very serious either, assuming you stop it progressing).

As far as warranty goes, if the LBS sold you something that wasn't working correctly then they should fix or replace it. If the damage has happened in the way I suggested then it is likely to be "user error".

Its only a tiny scrape, dab some paint on and don't worry, as long as its stopped.

Crankset replacement is easy when you know how! You need the correct tools, which could cost £15 ish (for Hollowtech) appropriate to the type of chainset/bottom bracket. Its also fairly easy to get wrong (a LBS I no longer use got the spacers wrong on my bike). If you want to get into diy bike repairs I guess you may as well start now, but read up first (Park Tools, Shimano data sheets) and get the correct tools.

On the other hand you may think the tool costs and hassle/risk make an LBS job more viable, the LBS should fit it for a reasonable price, maybe ask for a quote for the part including fitting, and for fitting only.
  • AlasR
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm going to take it to LBS for them to look at and possibly replace the crankset.

I haven't had the wheels off the bike until I cleaned it at the weekend and the damage was already there. If it's not that serious though am happy to spray it and forget about it. When it comes down to it the bike is a joy to ride.

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not even spray it as it will not rust.

the chain can wander a bit as it come onto the cogs. you will see similar marks on many bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown