Inherited bike help

blue.mouse
blue.mouse Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

No idea what I have inherited, it is a mix of a variety of parts but after repairing the brake cable I changed gears and the whole rear derailleur fell apart.

Local bike shop said it would cost £100 incl service but I fancied replacing it myself. Any tips? Will I need a chain tool? If so will a shimano all in one do? the last derailleur was a shimano deore but I don't know which one to get - short, long etc?? I wasn't expecting to have more than one choice for the same make and model!!

Lastly, is it easy? An old manual I have seems to give simple instructions and I would like to tinker with it; but should I admit defeat before starting on my 'project' and get professionals to do it properly and pay for it.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all the info you need can be found on Parkttols.

and yes replace shimano with shimano and keep the speeds the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe stick a pic up and get some opinions as to what would be worth spending.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    If I got a used bike and the rear mech literally fell into pieces as you describe I would definitely want to completely strip the bike before spending any money or riding it further. I'd want to see what else needs doing, and if it's worth it when everything is added up.

As Cooldad suggests, try to get a pic up or at least tell us better what make/model the bike & parts are to get an idea how much time & money it's worth pouring into it.
  • blue.mouse
    Thanks for the advice, will try to upload pictures tonight and you can let me know your thoughts.

Basics
    - aluminium frame 7130 or something similar.
    - it has no fear stickers all over it but they look like they have been added
    - specialized bar
    - shimano deore rear derailleur (what is left of it)
    - full suspension
    - all the cables are a bit frayed, may need replacing
    - wtb stem (I think)

Thanks for the replies
  • blue.mouse
    Can't seem to post photos up - not only a beginner in mtbiking but also use of a forum.

last post gave all the info that is on the bike, any hints that would be great.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah right, that could be anything.
    Send the pics to me in a PM and I'll put them up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools