R.S Sektor

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i'm sure this has been asked before but are the rock shox sektors a replacement of the pikes?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really. more long travel recons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    hmmmm, so they wouldn't be on a par with pikes? recons were below pikes weren't they?

just looking at new bikes and i'm wondering whether to bother or just get all my stuff serviced :?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    welshkev wrote:
    hmmmm, so they wouldn't be on a par with pikes?

Well, depends what you mean. If you get one with motion control it'll be on a par with the equivalent pike, except longer travel, lighter, but less strong. It's not a direct replacement but the differences are give and take.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    hmm, i'm still unsure. the sektors are on a spesh pitch pro which i reckon is a pretty hard hitting bike so they should be ok for me :?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've had both coil Pikes and coil Sektors and the Pikes are definitley heavier and definitley a bit burlier/stiffer.

The Sektors are still pretty tough but on the really rough stuff the Pikes can handle it better. If you need something really tough and/or are heavy then the Pikes are better.

Not really sure what the new equivalent of the Pike is.... Lyriks are heavier and burlier still and I'm not convinced the Argyles are the answer - no U-turn and they are air.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Northwind
    I think... Well, at least 9/10ths of people who thought they needed Pikes actually didn't and would have been better on Revs. So I think maybe it's a bit of Rockshox giving people what they need not what they want.

Air Lyrik is lighter than the heaviest Pike IIRC and I think they can be spaced down to 140 and 150mm. Coil Lyrik is heavier though and the only u-turn option (2-step's not really comparable here)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    edited May 2011
    cheers for the replies guys.......i may just buy a new frame :D

i'm 14 stone and ride quite hard so i might stick with the pikes. i've got a firm spring fitted in them now and if i bought the spesh with the sektors on it i'd prob have to change the spring in those wouldn't i?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Sektor is a budget Revelation, and in any other year would be called a Recon. RS have fooled people into believing it is some new wonder fork when it isn't.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Fox are a damned sight easier.
    Choose your leg diameter, then choose what spring medium, then what adjustments you'd like.
    DONE.

I want a Rockshox fork for the hardtail, but I honestly have absolutely no frikkin idea what to get.
  • maddog 2
    I think 'fooled' is a bit strong...

The Sektor may well be a budget Rev but Rev's are all air, whereas the Sektor can be had in coil u-turn, which suits some riders (like me).

I'd say the Sektor is a good value (I got mine sub £300 new), adjustable (110-150) coil fork, with good performance too. That's a pretty good list of traits to me. :wink:

Sure it's not as burly as a Pike, and the 20mm is white! but still a good fork.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    The Sektor is a budget Revelation, and in any other year would be called a Recon. RS have fooled people into believing it is some new wonder fork when it isn't.

i think i'll stick with the pikes and just get a new frame,they were serviced pretty recently so arre running sweetly :lol:

i'll just up grade the mechs and shifters aswell and i'll have pretty much a new bike apart from the wheels but they're straight and true so job done...cheers guys :D
  • Northwind
    maddog 2 wrote:
    The Sektor may well be a budget Rev but Rev's are all air, whereas the Sektor can be had in coil u-turn, which suits some riders (like me).

Out of curiosity, why do you want a coil? Everyone told me that I'd feel a big difference in plushness when I coiled my Lyriks, but I can't feel any difference at all... Modern air forks are pretty dang good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    you asking me?

i was considering an air fork as i'd like more 'tunability' (is that a word :lol: ) but my pikes are coil, i'm not a weight weenie so i'm not really bothered about weight and i'm quite used to me pikes so....i think i may just do as i said above
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pike or Lyrik for harder riding really. If wanting an air fork from new for less 'gnarly' riding I'd avoid the Sektor completety and get a Rev RLT.
  • maddog 2
    I prefer coil myself, although I've not tried an air fork for a while so maybe they are closer these days. I find them generally plusher, and more linear. I set my forks up with little compression damping, so they are quite active with good grip+feel. Coil just worked better like this.

Once the spring rate is chosen, then I generally limit tunability to rebound+travel. Plus they are less faff to maintain (possibly).
  • welshkev
    cheers agin guys, and thanks supersonic you've persuaded me to stick with the pikes :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and if you had said that you were thinking of change Pikes for Sektors at the start I would have told you to get your head seen to.

why cant people give the full story. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    nicklouse wrote:
    and if you had said that you were thinking of change Pikes for Sektors at the start I would have told you to get your head seen to.

why cant people give the full story. :wink:

well, it started out as me considering new bikes and then morphed into a fork debate :lol: