Return of the click!!

dogboy73
dogboy73 Posts: 440
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
ARGGGHHHH!!! It's back again ........ but not quite the same so it must be something else. First click was the suspension pivot bolt needing a bit of a tighten up. Next click was a dodgy link in the chain that eventually gave up & the chain snapped. Now there is another one so I'm back to trying to figure this out. Checked everything as before. Can't seem to locate it again. Really annoying & suddenly I'm thinking about a new bike again, which I absolutely cannot afford. Why do MTB parts click at you driving you to insanity!? :evil: What does that click want??!! GO AWAY!!!!

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I remember my hub ran out of grease once, when I was half way round a 11 mile ride. 5.5 miles with the hub constantly squeaking drove me insane. I was close to throwing the bike off the side of the hill by the time I got back.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    leaflite wrote:
    I remember my hub ran out of grease once, when I was half way round a 11 mile ride. 5.5 miles with the hub constantly squeaking drove me insane. I was close to throwing the bike off the side of the hill by the time I got back.
    I've had problems with my rear hub so I'm wondering if this is the cause.

But I know exactly what you mean - noises on a bike drive you insane! They stop me enojying the ride because even if the bike is working perfectly fine it sounds like its about to break! My bike was whisper quiet when I first built it. But after a few months it was just one problem after the next. A right bo***ck ache & no mistake :( I spend more time fixing than riding lately.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I have heard clicking/cracking noises from time to time over the last few years. Here are some of the culprits on my bike:

- seatpost creaking in the frame. Tightened up the seatpost collar and eliminated the noise. Saddle rails sometimes creak also.

- bearings in the frame pivots. Did my best cleaning them out with degreaser and toothbrush and then injected new grease into them. Noise went away... for a while.

- cartridge bearings in the bottom bracket. Mine are easily contaminated, especially in the winter and when they are filled with muddy grit they make a horrible noise.

-loose pivot bolt. Second time I have tightened it so this time I applied some loctite and tightened it as tight as I could.

Just some ideas as to where you could look for the offending noise.
  • spesh1876
    spesh1876 Posts: 1
    i had a click for 2 months tryed everything.eventualy pinned it down to my peddles,the threads that screw into the crank needed some grease.