Got hit by a van tonight

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Thought I was going down big time seeing this van slam on his indicator and moving left as I was passing the passenger door. Fortunately he was only moving left to go round a car turning right, had he been going left game over. He spotted me at last minute and I slammed in to his wing mirror. Kept upright and now I’m home I think I may wake up with a bruise on my upper arm. Consolation is that 17.5 stone shoulder checking his wing mirror at 18 mph appeared to have done some damage. I looked back at the guy who appeared to slow down and turning off to avoid a confrontation, coward. But as no damage to me I didn’t bother chasing him down.

Scary moment but no harm done.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Glad to hear you're OK.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Just shows how you need to be extra careful if you are thinking of undertaking vans as they have huge blind spots. Even if he checked his mirrors perhaps he simply couldn't see you.
    Glad there was no real harm done to anyone
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Be super careful when passing vehicles on the left. 18mph sounds to fast for me if you are passing a vehicle which you can not see through. Take care and pleased to hear you aren't damaged anymore than bruising.
  • sketchley
    @Merkin I know, I gave him plenty of room and did cycle away think could I have given more room. My memory tells me I had and was indeed passed him and moveing out in to clear air when I suddenly collided with his mirror, having seen the front of the van come into my path and the indicator flash on. All happend very quickly.

Problem was the indicator and movement came at the same time as I was along side the passenger door about three feet away, I guess the van moved about 2 foot left in the inital movement and I had drifted about six to ten inches out (as the road bends a bit after junction). In fact I was difting out in order to take primary so as not to get blocked in at the junction on the other side (oh the irony on that one).

Had he looked through the pasenger window he would have seen me but his indication, movement came at the same time, I doubt he even cheked his mirror let alone mirror, signal, manover. He simply saw the car infront stop to turn and moved leftimediately while hitting his indicator. Blind spot or not he should have looked first.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    gaz545 wrote:
    Be super careful when passing vehicles on the left. 18mph sounds to fast for me if you are passing a vehicle which you can not see through. Take care and pleased to hear you aren't damaged anymore than bruising.

18 mph is guess as Garmin was still searching for Satalites. But point taken. As above there was about three feet of gap (2 lanes, he is in right lane I'm in primary in left lane) he moved hlaf way across left lane as I'm going straight on. Not as if I was squeezing down a 18 inch gap to get to the front.
    --
    Chris

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Sketchley, glad you're ok mate. Hate it when cars pull across lanes to move past others turning right without checking the lane they're moving into is clear. Happens far too frequently at the mo on my commute, so much so I treat the entire NKR as a neutral zone for SCR on the way in.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Sketchley wrote:
    @Merkin I know, I gave him plenty of room and did cycle away think could I have given more room. My memory tells me I had and was indeed passed him and moveing out in to clear air when I suddenly collided with his mirror, having seen the front of the van come into my path and the indicator flash on. All happend very quickly.

Problem was the indicator and movement came at the same time as I was along side the passenger door about three feet away, I guess the van moved about 2 foot left in the inital movement and I had drifted about six to ten inches out (as the road bends a bit after junction). In fact I was difting out in order to take primary so as not to get blocked in at the junction on the other side (oh the irony on that one).

Had he looked through the pasenger window he would have seen me but his indication, movement came at the same time, I doubt he even cheked his mirror let alone mirror, signal, manover. He simply saw the car infront stop to turn and moved leftimediately while hitting his indicator. Blind spot or not he should have looked first.

That manoeuvre is one of my pet hates as it's just the driver in question being too impatient to wait for the right-turning vehicle to move out of their way. Glad you escaped with just a couple of bruises.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Glad your ok Sketchley. Hearing about too many accidents at the moment. Take care folks.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Glad your ok Sketchley. Hearing about too many accidents at the moment. Take care folks.