Northern Spain/Basque Country

snickwell
snickwell Posts: 72
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm contemplating taking a trip this summer to the north of Spain and/or the Basque (French or Spanish) region.

Has anyone done any touring around that part of the country? Would you have any recommendations as to areas, routes, or even websites where I could get further info? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to go for a week max, with a fairly flexible budget. I would consider camping or staying in B&Bs and am looking to go solo if this has any bearing.

Many thanks!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The Camino Francés to Santiago di Compostella is the most famous route through that area. So there's lots of information about it. But it also has the reputation for being very busy in peak season.
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    The most popular tour would be the Picos Europa where you can combine sea coast and mountain for your holiday passing through the provinces of Cantabria, Asturias and Leon. Other suggestions are routes through the Sierra Demanda and into Rioja for the wine or the western Pyreenes through Navarra, the Roncal Valley, Bardenas Reales - great variety of landscape. Where are you starting from? You could also do a liner route and catch a bus or maybe a train back.

Official tourist sites in English

Pais Vasco
    La Rioja
    Navarra
    Cantabria
    Asturias
    Leon
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    There are quite a few journals on the Crazy Guy site - here are a couple to look at to get an idea...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =8565&v=HU

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =6867&v=wv

and this one is about to start...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... d=8742&v=9

I'm thinking of going there in 2012.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • snickwell
    Thanks a lot guys, really useful info so far!

I've actually driven most of the Camino route, so that's definitely an option. The Picos look very tempting too, lots of lovely climbing to test myself on.

I guess two other questions: how many of you have done solo tours? Do you feel safe and are there any extra 'precautions' to take? Secondly, for a first solo tour, would you recommend following a route like the Camino or the Picos, or is half the fun just plotting your own route on a map and following it?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I toured solo, camping, eating out with a few nights in pensiones.
    Flew into Santander, shuttle bus into city centre then rode.
    I made my own route up, along the coast, down to the Picos, over and across then further west.
    This is really good country to ride, the roads are good with some great climbs, there are plenty of bike shops and the food is excellent, weather is pleasant but not as extreme as S Spain, think of a warmer Cornwall.. The Asturian/Cantabrian mountain stew is first rate fodder.
    There are some lovely small fishing ports to explore.
    The local railway (Feve) stops at every village and takes bicycles.
  • megilleland
    I always go solo - no arguments or disagreements. Longest period away from home one year in Spain. You may meet other cyclists and can pair up for a short time if going in the same direction. Also I think local people are more interested in you as a solo traveller - I have had plenty of invites to join in with groups in bars, cafes and restaurants. You just need to keep an eye on your personal possessions. If your careless there are people out there who will take advantage of you - not when your on your bike, but when walking around and sightseeing in large towns/cities.

Think where you would like to cycle, do a bit of research on the area for sights and accommodation/camping and just go. Its always interesting to see if the route comes up to your expectations. In Spain it usually does.
  • snickwell
    Well. Erm... that happened bloody quickly.

Currently getting quotes on flights to Santander, looking at doing 10 days (a baby tour!) around the Picos Europa. Keep those tips rolling in, I'm collating all this and saving it - you guys/gals are a goldmine!
  • MichaelW
    There is no official recommended bike route up and over the Picos but it can be done.
    From Potes (main base for Picos tourism, there is a cul-de-sac road to Fuente De.
    At Fuente De there is a teleférico /cable car to the summit BUT it only takes bikes on the first run of the morning.
    http://www.cantur.com/teleferico.asp

You can stay overnight at a nearby campsite/mountain hut or lower down at a pensione in the villages.
    One at the top, follow the 4x4 trail over and down to Sotres then a spectacular road descent to Las Arenas.
    I did it on 32mm tyres on a touring bike, in the fog after a 24 hour weather delay.
  • snickwell
    MichaelW wrote:
    There is no official recommended bike route up and over the Picos but it can be done.
    From Potes (main base for Picos tourism, there is a cul-de-sac road to Fuente De.
    At Fuente De there is a teleférico /cable car to the summit BUT it only takes bikes on the first run of the morning.
    http://www.cantur.com/teleferico.asp

You can stay overnight at a nearby campsite/mountain hut or lower down at a pensione in the villages.
    One at the top, follow the 4x4 trail over and down to Sotres then a spectacular road descent to Las Arenas.
    I did it on 32mm tyres on a touring bike, in the fog after a 24 hour weather delay.

Thanks for the tips! My bike won't take 32s, so I've got to stick to roads or anything that is more than a rutted trail I'm afraid.

Do you have any experience of the N-625 that runs through the Picos? I can't find any photos or info about it... Have you also travelled through the Fuentes Carriones National Park too? It looks great from google streetview!
  • MichaelW
    Ive heard that the 625 is spectacular but narrow and can get busy
    http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 2e6f1.html

The 621 is quite narrow and busy, I came south via Herrerias, Lamason, Linares.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    N625 through the Picos is a spectacular ride right through the mountains alongside the river Sella. You ride in valley and gorge climbing all the while.

As for busy. Not the times I've done it. Once off season & once peak time (all hotels fully booked that how busy). About as busy as Muker to Tan Hill will be this afternoon.

Have a great trip

H
  • megilleland
    The N-625 is quieter than the N-621 which goes east of the Picos through Potes. However, there is no safe margin along roadside so care is needed when meeting traffic. The weather here can be quite wet and misty on the higher ground around Puerto del Ponton. I encountered poor visibility as a result of a thunder storm so lights may be a good idea. You also go through a couple of tunnels so yet again lights useful. There is a good venta (bar/meals at Puente de Huera) - ask about the bears on the mountainside. Just off the road at the venta along the Foz de Andamios you can experience a good climb through 22 hairpins to visit Casiellas and Biamon.

Here are a selection of YouTube videos to give a feeling for the route from different aspects:

Ramblers on the road in the Desfiladero de los Beyos. Love the bagpipe (Gaita) music - typical of Asturias and Galicia. Also walking through tunnels. Ascent by motorbikes. Popular route for motorcyclists - be aware and boy racers. It can be pretty wet on the road side when it rains - this the N621. The Cascade AguasalioI is worth a look at on the way up.

Compare higher traffic levels through the Desfiladero de la Hermida on the N-621, between Panes and Potes.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • snickwell
    Thanks all, great tips :D

Aggieboy, I've PMd you...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    snickwell wrote:
    Thanks all, great tips :D

Aggieboy, I've PMd you...

Replied, but it's still in my Outbox.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."