Chain tensioner the answer??

Mawby1710
Mawby1710 Posts: 22
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I currently have a Shimano Deore chainset, 3 chainrings up front. I get really annoyed if I ride a rocky bit of trail and my chain rattles like mad,sometimes jumping down to the lower chainring.

I want to stick one of these chain guides on.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54362

would this work for a bike with 3chainrings if attached to bottom bracket and would this make climbing or normal cycling more difficult??

really need to get rid of this problem.
Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope as it is the mech that adds the tension.

the linked version is for a single ring set up only.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mawby1710
    Ok... Is there anything that can be done??

I see Sram rear mechs seem to bounce alot less than shimano?
    would it be an idea getting a Sram x0 or shimano saint??
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Your chain is probably to long.
    Shorten the chain to the correct length or possibly slightly shorter than recommended.
    A chainstay protector can stop most rattling noises if it still occurs after chain shortening.
  • Mawby1710
    @sharky,

thanks will give it a try. any indication on setting up the correct length???
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I'm not excatly sure but there will be many guides online.
    Shimano rear mech instalation instructions have a guide based on mech position which I think should be available on all of their rear mech manuals online.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is very unlikely that the chain will be too long.

shimsno mech do move more allowing the chain to hit the chainstay more. it is part of riding off road.

but if you want to check. chain around both big rind with out going through the rear mech and add one full link. (1") non if this is a Fully you will also have to add some length if there is any chain grow.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown