RockShox3 Dart working?

cifa
cifa Posts: 16
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

I bought this bike last week http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek- ... e/78983946
Its in immaculate condition & has been expertly maintained
My only problem is that I cant seem to 'engage' the lockout on the fork
I turn the key clockwise to engage & it still seems to move....I have read around that some play is inevitable in this fork...but the lockout makes no difference IMO
I have no manual - am a newb setting up suspension -
Is the lockout broken?
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    cifa wrote:
    Hello all,

I bought this bike last week http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek- ... e/78983946
    Its in immaculate condition & has been expertly maintained
    My only problem is that I cant seem to 'engage' the lockout on the fork
    I turn the key clockwise to engage & it still seems to move....I have read around that some play is inevitable in this fork...but the lockout makes no difference IMO
    I have no manual - am a newb setting up suspension -
    Is the lockout broken?
    Any advice appreciated.

Even with the lockout on your still meant to get some travel, maybe an inch or so.

If you feel it isn't working at all then check for oil leaks around the rebound knob on the bottom of the right hand leg as it often indicative of a blown damper cartridge, it's quite a common problem on Dart 3s.
  • cifa
    thanks for that.
    with the lock 'on' (do you hear a click - does it engage?) I still get about 2" travel.
    The bottom of the rebound knob appears intact - no oil leakage that I can see
    are these fixable - or should I be thinking about shelling out for a replacement?
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    who needs lockout anyway??
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cifa
    not you obviously :wink:
    I was hoping to use less effort when I am on-road.
  • Dirtydog11
    cifa wrote:
    thanks for that.
    with the lock 'on' (do you hear a click - does it engage?) I still get about 2" travel.
    are these fixable - or should I be thinking about shelling out for a replacement?

No I don't get no click.

Are you sure they're broke? 2" is probably about right with the lock out on, they're not designed to go fully rigid although you should be able to feel some difference between on and off.

As far as a replacement is concerned personally I wouldn't bother, darts are not the most sensitive forks in the world anyway. Your not going to suffer much in the way of fork bob unless your stood up stomping on the pedals.

If the lock out's the only issue then I can tell you from experience your not missing out on much.
  • cifa
    thanks - that puts a different slant on things & no I am not convinced they're broke.
    probably my inexperience telling me they should lock out more impressively - I didnt have lockout on my mongoose tyxa elite (2008) - so nothing to compare too.
    the bike is otherwise in magic condition - I will thrash it out a bit & see how it goes.

cheers
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    cifa wrote:
    thanks for that.

No I don't get no click.

Are you sure they're broke? 2" is probably about right with the lock out on, they're not designed to go fully rigid although you should be able to feel some difference between on and off.

As far as a replacement is concerned personally I wouldn't bother, darts are not the most sensitive forks in the world anyway. Your not going to suffer much in the way of fork bob unless your stood up stomping on the pedals.

If the lock out's the only issue then I can tell you from experience your not missing out on much.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I have Rockshox on all my bikes from darts to recons and on lockout I get amax of 1" play.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • cifa
    I have Rockshox on all my bikes from darts to recons and on lockout I get amax of 1" play.

think I will get this to LBS & they will hopefully take the debate out of it for me.
    had the bike out today on the roads....the forks didn't seem to move much until I had to go through a pothole or two.
    tbh _ I don't know if they're working on not - not that impressed if they are
    will feedback on how I get on - will be a few days
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Rushmore wrote:
    who needs lockout anyway??

I do when riding my bikes on road :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • cifa
    took the bike to a reputable bike shop - the lockout is mal-functioning - how/why they dont know - they want £178 & £20 fitting charge to replace new.

I do want lockout working - here's the same fork £110 less

this suits my budget unless any of you kind souls can find anything cheaper/relevant to the budget?

thanks
  • cifa
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    If your handy with a spanner

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/rockshox-c ... 68621.html

would probably sort the problem.

or

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 62252.html

better than £178.00 lol

thanks for that - I forgot to include the same link for the forks at £64.99 - DOH!
    not too bad with a spanner - but disassembly on forks - not done before ;)
    how hard is it to take how out the locking mechanism - or just go with the whole hog fork?
  • Dirtydog11
    Well if you go with the whole fork you'll get a 2 year warranty/peace of mind.
  • cifa
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Well if you go with the whole fork you'll get a 2 year warranty/peace of mind.

cheers man :wink:
    will go with that.