Altering Bike geometry with components.

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I don’t really know how to describe this so i’ll call it geometry.

I’m currently running a 90mm stem and an inline seatpost that came with my bike.

I am thinking I would like to buy a shorter 50mm stem and to compensate, so I don’t get cramped on the bike buy a layback seatpost. Probably both from Superstar.
I realise this will move my position on the bike a little further back. What i’m hoping this will do is speed my steering up a bit, make my heavy front end easier to lift and make it easier to get right off the back of the bike for near vertical decents. Yet with the weight furher back add traction on climbs and retain good handling.

What will it actually do?

Will it royally screw up my handling characteristics? Make the bike skitish? Turn too quickly? Wheelie at every opportunity? Something I havent thought off?

Or do I expect too much and in all honesty it’ll make virtually no difference what-so-ever....

That’s all folks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will make climbing harder. your front will lift more easily.

also you are not changing any geometry.

I would change one thing at a time but for now why not just move your seat back on the rails.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    I know i'm not changing any geometry i just didnt know what to call it.

Didn't think of moving my seat back on its rails. Am such a Doofus Thanks for the suggestion.

Why would it make climbing harder. I thought if i added weight over the rear wheel it would aid traction enabling me to skoot up hills like my testies were on fire.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    Why would it make climbing harder. I thought if i added weight over the rear wheel it would aid traction enabling me to skoot up hills like my testies were on fire.

If you move to a 50mm stem there will be less weight over the front wheel so when the incline gets a bit too steep your front wheel will lift, its just a case of getting used to it & learning how to keep the front wheel weighted by shifting your body weight whilst climbing. I went from a 110mm stem to a 50mm and absolutely love it!
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404

Nope , weight has to be balanced between both wheels on a climb otherwise the front
    wheel becomes too light and skittish and control turns to sh*t.
    :D
  • dont dive in head first and change all components at the same time as you will find a very dramatic change in the way the bike rides just like the issues with stoners bike in the moto gp last year, you have to remember that even small changes can make a huge difference to the way your bike rides, it might help if you let us know what sort of riding you do aswell
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see