Chain Jumping in Highest Gear

r00fus
r00fus Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Sounds pretty simple right? I thought so too. I've tried adjusting the high gear limiter screw so that the chain is no where near the next chain ring but it still appears to be jumping.

I'm pretty sure I've ruled out cassette or hub slipping as the problem only occurs in the highest gear on the cassette.

Other possible problems could be bent hanger or derailleur cage? But not sure how to test this other than eye-balling it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

r00fus

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or indexing wrong. Limit screws are not used for this, they are just for setting limits, hence the name.

ps by highest gear you mean smallest cog?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    highest gear?

smallest cog?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds to me like your rr mech might be too close to the cassette - worth a look maybe. Try adjusting the b tension screw, and if that fails maybe consider shortening the chain by a link.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Isn't this just a classic case of a stretched chain and a worn cassette?
  • Obs1dian
    Obs1dian Posts: 88
    I had this recently - and posted about it on here. Turned out to be a worn sprocket. Same as you: highest/hardest/smallest 11t sprocket. I replaced it with a spare 11t I had on an 8 speed cassette lying around and it immediately sorted the problem.